• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saving time airing up and down

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Bjorn, good idea!

Why not add just 6 more hoses and end up with your own (non-computer, ground controlled!) CTIS? :-D
(I'm assuming all 8 take the same TP???)

Gerhard

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerhard, the limiting factor is the compressor output (about 7 cfm). Haven't done the math yet, but I'm pretty sure that there would be no time saving in having all eight hooked up, two yes, but not eight.

The tire valve (Schrader valve) limits the air flow, so for the compressor there is little difference between one and two it seems.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a great idea. Do you think it would be just as effective connected to an inflator gage?

Jake0147

Cool. I'm sure it takes a bit to inflate those tires... So if it just had a pressure regulator on it you could walk away and do something else while the tires were inflating. I dunno if it takes long enough to make that worth while, but a place I used to work at used a single hose and regulator setup that was wall mounted by the tire cage. I really liked that setup.

This works GREAT!

Some helpful information below.

Here is a few pics of a similar system using an York style AC pump for a compressor on a ford. The compressor on a duece will handle a lot more air than this.

AIR-UP
With this setup, I was able to air 4 35 x 12.50 tires from 0 psi to 30 psi at the same time in less than 5 minutes.

AIR-DOWN
If you put a valve on your fill, you can disconnect it from the air source, open it and air down in the same manner.

EQUALIZATION
If the schraders are worn, dirty, etc, they will fill at different rates, if you have them hooked together, and let them sit (blocked from airsource with valve) the tires will equalize until the air is the same in all.

With this being said, yes the schrader is the limitation, but the compressor will most likely have much more flow than even 8 schrader valves.

This system is proven to work very well if you take the time to build one. I might suggest using the smaller air hose as it will store easier. The system I made was using std 3/8 air hose.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wayne, notice the difference, no Schrader valve on the feed to the splitter.
The compressor can only put out so much air and if there are too many tires hooked up at the same time, there is no time saving and it's just as easy to hook up a pair at a time. I'll get the numbers to show what I mean.

If the tires are at different pressures, they will even out after a while with the valve turned off. The clip-on chucks leave the two tires connected together as one.

papercu

Not knocking your, you do good work but the one I linked to is just for two tires and it is for balancing tire pressure. That the same end result, right? Wayne

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Preliminary observations make me believe that the Schrader valve reduces flow and that's why two tires can be filled as fast as one from a splitter that doesn't include this valve in the feed line. That's the whole idea....
I'll experiment some more and post any new results.

Edit: Using "shop air", filling one tire from 20 to 30 psi takes 60 seconds.
With the splitter, filling two tires from 20 to 30 psi also takes 60 seconds, so the time/tire is cut in half and that's the point of it all. Perhaps the store-bought set can do the same, but I still think the Schrader valves restrict the flow.

Last edited:

papercu

that doesn't include this valve in the feed line.
I'm missing something, one Schrader valve is in the truck tube already, it has to be there.
The only reason (that I see) the Schrader valve is on the retail one, is that it will be more available for use while on the road.

M1075

I use a similar setup on my rock crawler to air up and down the 4 tires simultaneously. Works pretty well as long as the clip on chucks get a good bite.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks