• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How does the Shakespeare high survivability antenna whip fasten to the base?

mistaken1

I have purchased a used AS3916 antenna base (no antenna).

How does the steel antenna whip attach to the AS3916 base?

Based on what I have in my hands (missing the collet) it looks like there is a dished center contact in the top of the base. I am assuming that there is a swollen area at the base of the antenna whip and the the collet nut screws down into the base forcing the rounded bottom of the whip to make contact with the dished center pin. Is that correct or is my base broken beyond usability?

I do not have continuity between the center contact at the top of the base and the center pin of the bnc connector. I am assuming that there is a capacitor in line that will block the flow of DC current. I have not yet made the time to disassemble the unit.

Is there a quick way to check the AS3916 base to determine if it is functional?

Thank you for your help.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I had these on my truck. The steel antenna attaches using what we called a Jesus Nut.

Your assumption about the way the antenna mounts sounds correct based on what I've done to assemble mine.

Other than plugging it in, I don't know how to test it. No idea about the testing.

mistaken1

Thank you for your help. I was hoping to adapt the base to another antenna (I do not have the antenna itself). I have not contacted the factory about replacement parts.

I gather the threads are 1/2-20 NF.

mistaken1

Here is the reply from the Shakespeare Company LLC.

We do not sell replacement parts for that antenna. From a logistical standpoint it is cost effective to purchase a new antenna.
From THEIR logistical standpoint with a List Price of $650.00 it IS more cost effective to sell a complete new antenna but it is not cost effective from my standpoint.

mistaken1

After finding this picture I understand how the wire antenna is held in place. The wire antenna passes through the collet nut and sets in a recessed portion of the base (about a 1/4" deep recession the diameter of the antenna) and then the collet nut when screwed in the base clamps the wire antenna in place.

So in theory if a collet nut could be found/made that has an opening that matches a chosen wire antenna then I should be able to mount different length/diameter whips. I assume the base could be made to work on a number of different frequencies (we will see).

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Attachments

AN/ARC186

I have a base that is a straight pass through, just the connector, the spring and the antenna contact. no matching equipment internal to it at all,
would something like that work for you?
part# AS-3449/VSQ-1
NSN 5820-01-183-9462

mistaken1

I have a base that is a straight pass through, just the connector, the spring and the antenna contact. no matching equipment internal to it at all,
would something like that work for you?
part# AS-3449/VSQ-1
NSN 5820-01-183-9462

emmado22 said:
That VSQ-1 antenna cost Uncle Sam over $3,000 a copy. I almost had to pay for one once...
Wow! $3k is more than I have in the entire truck getting it home and legal. Have not tried to work with the AS3910 base beyond drilling and tapping a 1/2-20 bolt to hold a 1/4-20 wire antenna base and antenna. Someday when I have some time I will break out the SWR meter to see what I come up with.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heres a few pictures of the nut.

By the way, i'm also looking for the antenna for this base if anyone has one at a reasonable (to me) price.

Jones

That nut looks like a pretty simple project for a machinist to turn out.
And you're right; the nuts could be made to accept any size whip-- just dependant on what size hole you bored in them.

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As3916

Im bringing about 25 complete 3900s and 3916s to Aberdeen.3900s with antennas 75.00,3916s with antenna show special50.00

41cl8m5

that nut is made from 9/16" hex stock and it is theaded to a 1/2"-20 thread. the "x" pattern on the end is what grips the whip to the base, it is saw cut to 1/2" from the end of the thead, as far as the hole, I tried to size it and it apears to be made to a #11 drill bit, from the base of the nut to the end (the part that is theaded is about 7/8" long the head is 1/2" long total length is about 1 3/8". oh one more thing I put a magnet to it and it does not stick my, thought it is made with sainless steel for corrosion reasons.

hope this helps

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks