• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Unimog Owner Here

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey guys, I recently acquired a 1965 404 TLF-8. Only real mod I have done since this picture is 12.5R20 Michelin XL's.

When I picked up the truck it needed a lot of mechanical TLC. Regular maintenance and parts seemed like they had been neglected since the truck was decommissioned in '94.

I replaced a lot or parts, and have worked out all the kinks in what could only be described as a wiring NIGHTMARE.

Running great now, this summer I'm going to remove the cab to fix the rust and make a Doka cab out of it (four door). At the same time I am going to swap a diesel into it, and fabricate a new box. I'll be sure to make a project thread in about a month.

http://www.theshowroomshine.com/Unimog/UnimogFlex.jpg

Heres a photo from a recent outing in Citrus county.

http://theshowroomshine.com/Unimog/LN3F8717net1.jpg

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! Congrats on the acquisition. The 404 Unimog is a functional, reliable, and simple truck. Making major changes to it is your choice but you might find that after your restoration work it will perform adequately for your needs. There's much to be said for it's original MB engineering! (but I like Diesel too!)

Looking forward to more updates!

Bob

SixSpeed

Banned
Nice truck! Congrats on the acquisition. The 404 Unimog is a functional, reliable, and simple truck. Making major changes to it is your choice but you might find that after your restoration work it will perform adequately for your needs. There's much to be said for it's original MB engineering! (but I like Diesel too!)

Looking forward to more updates!

Bob
I'm a firm believer in original MB Engineering. I own a handful of Mercedes Benz's and I have a real appreciation for their engineering.

I realize in that modifying the truck I could lose some of the features, but I am being very careful when I change everything over. I'm not going to alter the COG any, and if I do, its going lower. The truck won't be any taller. I'm retaining the factory Box/Cab mounting so they will still be able to pivot independently.

For the motor, I am using the conversion kit offered from the guy in germany, so I don't have to modify the foot well in order to get the OM617 to fit. The OM617 won't overpower the truck, and its an absolute workhorse, which doesn't mind higher RPM highway crusing.

The factory motor isn't bad, and infact this truck has a brand new engine in it. Just got done with break in. It has enough power for most things, but hills really defeat it, and it doesn't much like towing.

Overall I am going with the KISS (keep it simple stupid or stupid simple). The truck won't have any frills, and I am retaining the factory electronics and further waterproofing everything.

sak00

Hey Sixspeed

Hey Sixspeed<

I was at the same outing in Citrus with you all. Olive Drab Jeep Scrambler right up front in the campground.

Welcome to Steel Soldiers.

SixSpeed

Banned
Welcome and nice 404!
Thanks!

Hey Sixspeed<

I was at the same outing in Citrus with you all. Olive Drab Jeep Scrambler right up front in the campground.

Welcome to Steel Soldiers.
Sweet! I remember seeing your truck! I had a great time at Citrus, was my first time out there. I bet that place is a trip during rainy season.

Let me know if or when you want to go wheeling I got a Pinz712 I spend alot of time up that way.

Welcome to the site by the way.
I'm always down for wheelin'! Know of any good places around here?

Pinz25086

Welcome to the site. There is a group of us that go out about every other month in the central FL area. DC3Coyote is one of the Pinz guys that are part of that group. There usally is about 6-10 Pinzgauers and a few Mogs that go. Shoot me a PM if you want to be notified next time we go out and get the trucks dirty.

Wayne

SixSpeed

Banned
Welcome! Glad you found this site too!
Me too!

Welcome to the site. There is a group of us that go out about every other month in the central FL area. DC3Coyote is one of the Pinz guys that are part of that group. There usally is about 6-10 Pinzgauers and a few Mogs that go. Shoot me a PM if you want to be notified next time we go out and get the trucks dirty.

Wayne
You got PM!

Welcome abord
Thanks!

Took this picture this evening just for you guys! When can I actually post pictues? lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks