• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

saved US36ACG pump from UMD-College Park

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rescued this old water pump from the University of Maryland-College Park yesterday. Hooked up a surplus 15-ton rated pintle hitch to my Durango and hauled home very smoothly. The guy at the site wasn't sure about the condition of the wheel bearings or the tires. I responded the bearings should be fine, and the tires held 30 psi, but one of the tires had a significant chunk out of the sidewall, you could see the threads in the tire material. I took it slow, under 50 mph, and stopped regularly for the 80 mile tow back home to check on it. No problems.

The pump was retired because the motor needs rebuild. I'm just going to swap it out with a running engine, and sell this old motor to someone who will rebuild it, this model engine is very popular with ultralight aircraft builders, so I know there is a market for it even in its present locked-up state.

The pump unit itself is very nice, missing a couple small parts that my junkyard-crawling can fix. There appears to have been a very professional repair of one of the Y-branched pipes, appraently it was a crack from ice freezing inside the pump one time, and it had nowhere to go but through the aluminum pipe. Like I said, very tough repair done to it, and it has been used many times since, so I am not worried.

I plan on fixing this up and making it work sometime after Haspin, when I have some free time. I plan on using it, but it will get the resto treatment on it as well, it's a fairly uncommon piece of gear and I'd like to see it re-done.

I think emmado22 is right, though - I'm gonna get wet. 6 gallons per second will make for some interesting water delivery adventures!

Here's the pics, and info on the engine and pump. If anyone has any spares, manuals, or information on this unit, please let me know.

Engine:
ENGINE, GASOLINE, MILITARY STANDARD
4 CYLINDER AIR COOLED
4 CYCLE OVERHEAD VAVLE
84 CUBIC INCH DISPLACEMENT
STOCK # FSN 2805-872-5972
SERIAL # R-019194
MODEL 4A084 III
MANUAL TM5-2805-204-20&24P
MFR. WISCONSIN MOTOR CORP.
DATE MFD. 12-69
CONTRACT DAAK01-67-C-0887

Pump:
US
PUMP, CENTRIFUGAL, 350 GPM
190 THD, GED
MODEL US36ACG
SERIAL # 37044-233
FSN 4320-407-2583
CONTRACT DSA 700-71-C-8204
DATE 9-1971
SHIP WT. 1300 lb
LG 81 in HGT 60 in W 59 in CU 166 ft
BARNES MANUFACTURING CO., MANSFIELD OHIO

PROPERTY OF MAES, FEDERAL EXCESS PROPERTY PROGRAM, 00896

Attachments

rizzo

cool, I could use a pump like that for my mudbog. I havee been looking for one to hook up to the tractor PTO.

nice pics

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are those Jeep rims (like M38A1)?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are those Jeep rims (like M38A1)?
Yes they are! Standard 7.00x16 tires as well.

For those who might not know, this was originally designed as a fuel pump, for gasoline and diesel. It can pump water just fine. HOWEVER, the reverse is not true - if you have a pump made for pumping water, it is probably not safe for pumping flammable liquids.

I cannot get into LOGSA anymore. If someone can download the manuals for the pump and engine, I would appreciate it. The manuals are:

Engine:
TM 5-2805-204-10
TM 5-2805-204-20
TM 5-2805-204-24P

Pump:
TM 5-4320-242-14
TM 5-4320-242-24P

Engine5

Rescued this old water pump from the University of Maryland-College Park yesterday. Hooked up a surplus 15-ton rated pintle hitch to my Durango and hauled home very smoothly. The guy at the site wasn't sure about the condition of the wheel bearings or the tires. I responded the bearings should be fine, and the tires held 30 psi, but one of the tires had a significant chunk out of the sidewall, you could see the threads in the tire material. I took it slow, under 50 mph, and stopped regularly for the 80 mile tow back home to check on it. No problems.

The pump was retired because the motor needs rebuild. I'm just going to swap it out with a running engine, and sell this old motor to someone who will rebuild it, this model engine is very popular with ultralight aircraft builders, so I know there is a market for it even in its present locked-up state.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice pump. Have you had any luck with a replacement engine yet? What kind did you use. I was thinking about one of the mil surplus 4 cyl diesal to mount up if I cant get the Wisconsin unfroze. But I am not sure of the HP rating.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks