• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M656 questions

jegjr

I own a M656 5 ton 8x8 and have been having a terrible time tyring to find any information on it. I am hoping some people here might be able to help me out.

First question, does anyone know what kind of Rockwell axles are used on this vehicle? It does have a Rockwell plate on it but I have not been able to cross reference them with any documentation on the net.

Second, it does have the LDS-465-2 but the electronic fuel cutoff solendoid is not working...any ideas on where to find a replacement?

I am sure that I will have more questions as I dig into this monster.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can impart.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
jegir, find a copy of the second edition of the Standard Catalog of Military Vehicles. There's some info on it there. Another source of information is a guy named Tom Bauer out of MD. I don't have a current email for Tom but he had one and did quite a nice job on the resto. I rode in it and it was nice. As far as parts not too many suppliers advertise the M656, M757 and M791 but I would get a subscription to Military Vehicles Magazine and start calling dealers. There are parts out there.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One big Ford there. Production was very limited, around 500 or so.

IMHO, the axles are side-loaders very similar to those in a lot of garbage trucks.

ddg

williamh

is that the 8X8 with pressurized side panels .. can float ???? should have a automatic transmission ... will only do about 45mph. !!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a image of the m656, I didn't know what one looked like. Site says they are amphibious with a swimming kit.
Dennis

Attachments

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know where there are about 10-12 Cargo GOERS outside of Ft Hood. Last time I checked, they were for sale. Check the "salvage Yard" thread for a guy named Sammy Kude in Kempner TX. Only a few hours from ya.

williamh

there was one here in san diego for a while .. it belonged to a friend of mine and i got to play with it ... lots of fun .. and it will float ... the guy that bought it , had it painted and the rims chromed , he would take people out onto the bay !!

it had a allison automatic transmission ...but would only do about 45mph. lots of fun to drive .. a real head turner !! rofl

jegjr

Thanks to all for the information! I have already made some great contacts who have help point me in the right directions. This is a great board and I look forward to more posts. Happy Holidays!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, OE 30 is 30wt engine oil so It would seem that they're requiring 10wt engine oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks