• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

old crane - military?

surfdog

Just bought a crane/manlift at an auction where they were selling a lot of surplus equipment. Anyone know if this was originally military (or if the military used this model/type of crane) ?

Boom extends about 50'. Powered by 6 cyl Chrysler industrial motor. Crab and oblique sttering. 4wd. Haven't found a name plate yet.

I should have some fun with it!!!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can think of a couple that came out of the military. PM Floridianson, he has one I believe.

surfdog

I'll probably sell it after I finish all the barn beam and roof repair and assorted tree work on the farm.... so that will probably only take me the next 10 years!!!!

OSO

That crane is a RO /Stinger. I painted one back in 1983. Has Dodge 1 ton running gear , I had to take the tranny out and replace a keeper kept comming out of gear. Found the clip laying on the bottom of the tranny . Had a vandel punch a couple of holes in the radiator ,cost $300 for a new core ,back in 1983 at an old time repair shop. He was the most reasonable shop around . Our crane was 5 Ton I think about 1975 model.We had a jib for it ,along with a man bucket.:wink:

surfdog

It is a Broderson RTR-70-1B, 8 ton 45' height at 80 degrees

Looked it over a little closer today and found the data plate and even a manual in the cab!

It used to belong to the National Air and Space Museum in Maryland - I suspect it came out of our local air museum about 5 miles away.

I think it's gonna look real nice in olive drab.

Had a problem with carb icing today when running it for a short time (it is propane powered). It does not have a heat riser. Any suggestions?

Attachments

surfdog

I'm going to keep it and use it around the farm. All of a sudden all my friends have jobs they need a crane/manlift for and are asking about it....

How far from Hawthorne FL are you? My brother has a house there and needs some shipping containers stacked on top of each other. Can your little Scamp lift a 40' (empty) container? Do you do little lift jobs like this?

He just recently bought a sweet clean deuce W/W out of Cape Canaveral to drag them around his property and pull a few trees out -- at least that's what he told me - personally I think it was because I had a few deuces up here in NY and he was jealous of my new toys.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the carb icing, Make sure your vaporizer ( the big round thing that regulates the fuel) has coolant running through it to warm the propane. Most of these rigs were dual fuel and could be switched between propane and gas.

You should be able to set containers with this crane. Just don't boom out too far. There should be a load chart in the manual and a plate in the cab. Best I remember these rigs had a 9,000lb line pull so you'll have to go to a two part line to lift anything over 9,000lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks