• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found this little gem today

DuecesWild

Saw this wrecker behind a building up in Grantsville, MD today. Im a newbie so I hope any of you fellow soldiers can identify this for me. I know its WW2 and that its a Dodge (I think). I didnt get to look at it long I had to go but it looked in decent shape. Whether they want to sell it or not i dont know. I hope the pics work.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, Chevy. Should have the "stovebolt" 235 engine and a 4 speed trans. All the stuff on the back of the frame, except for the winch, is scrap. The winch there is worth what maybe $500 if you paint it and sell it to the truck/ heavy equipment marketplace. Look really close at the cab, rust along the beltline seam and on the floor, the cabs can get really unfixable. Tires are pricy ($175), and you'll need 7. Beds are hard to come by and generally turn up in Oregon/Idaho. The bed looks like a short narrow deuce bed.
If you are looking for a ground up restoration project, here you go. Value as is, around $900.

roscoe

Whienever I see an old truck or car parked in a field, I wonder what was the last day of this vehicle. Who was using it, what was it being used for and what happened that it ended up rusting in a field.

gerrykan

It was common practice in this part of the country to use old truck frames for the boom/gin poles. Most of the time some of the crossmembers are removed or shortened so that the boom gets narrower near the top.

wdbtchr

I've seen log loaders made with frames on old cckws too. Wish I had a camera back then, they were actually pretty cool. It was amazing the loads they could carry. Sadly most went to scrap years ago.

cckw353

I dont know about you guys, but the boom looks like a old truck frame! It might just be me!
I concur...the boom is an old truck frame.

Some interesting things on the Chevy. It has the early BO mounting light grill guard. And it is on both sides. Something that was done outside of military regs.

Also has the mount for the fuel tank on the right outboard behind the cab which usually indicates that it was a tipper (dump truck) as the hoist piston was between the frame rails.

Also the fenders look pretty straight, on the leading edge, for a Chevy.

Not a bad piece for the right price.

Bill

DuecesWild

good luck Donny! keep us posted if you get it.
Woah Woah I never said I was gonna buy it I just said that I didnt know if the truck was for sale or not thinking maybe somebody on here would be interested or know somebody interested. It would be cool to have but I dont have the money, let alone the space for another vehicle at my house. And my parents wouldn't like it either. They were questioning me getting the Deuce but we all know how that went down :wink:.

DMgunn

That makes three of us then - I have never personally gotten to the point with a vehicle where I will just give up and walk away........................maybe that's how I ended up with too many :roll:.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks