• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

got hubs?

wyliek

ya i pulled em off too see the axle, the hubs are all chewed up and i dont know why, could have been inproper installation by the owner...or the axle? i dont know where the axles are supposed to be positioned, if you look there are way to the top...

brgmchevy

Don't forget the smaller bearing inside the spindle, in the backside. It helps center the stub axle, near the u-joint. I usually find them half shot.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good call on the spindle bearings brgmchevy. I use a pilot bearing puller to remove them. Wyliek, there are many folks selling NOS front axle assys fot around $300 to $400. Consider this route when pricing new part for yours since you may have rotor damage and most certinaly have spindle damage.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would also contrubute to a major low brake pedal and much noise while underway. That's a pretty darn bad set of bearings. I wouldn't drive that any farther then from the driveway to the garage. Parts you will need for certain;
1) Spindle
2) inner and outer wheel bearings
3) lockout hub assy
4) seal
Parts you might need
1) rotor
Things you should replace while in there
1) spindle bearing
2) axle ujoint
And have a close look at the balljoints. Most folks only want to do this once and report it as a pain. I rather enjoy taking front ends down and doing bearings. I've done the Dana 44 and Corp 10 bolt so many times I could probably do it by feel (blindfolded) faster than some do it with eyesite. It's not a job beyond anyone's capability at all. Only specialty tool you should have is the wheel bearing nut socket.

Milkman357

Picture of Hub nut wrench?

I'm trying to figure out how to get my front hubs off...

Anybody got a picture of the special wrench....or is there a size on it?

jumpmasterjim

I replaced an 85's from the knuckle out myself. Found most of the parts in a pick and pull junk yard. The ball joint press made thing much easier. I used a cutting torch to cut everything off. pressed the ball joints in and was on the road again in a short time. make sure you get everything needed first. I ended up making 3 trips to the junkyard!

4bogginchevys

look a little closer

I'm trying to figure out how to get my front hubs off...

Anybody got a picture of the special wrench....or is there a size on it?
I think what might have you stumped is the outer retainer clip.....very thin, you need to use an all to get the end of it started coming out....

I know it may sound bad but I always go to the junk yard for spindle's/bearings/axles w/ good joint/and the little clips for axle and stuff.
Maybe i'm lucky to have a large yard near me...I can buy a hole corner of the truck with the parts listed for less than 50 bucks, and BTW I never mess with pressing in/out ball joints, 44 and corporate are the same from knuckle out so I get knuckle too.

I have changed and broken countless axle joints in 44/10 bolt and come to the conclusion that it's far easier to change out the whole axle and the stock spicer joints are the strongest i've ever run.

because your running corporate front in that you could put large hub(extenal hub rotors (eight lug) and run external hubs...I prefer them to internals on the 44/corporate....then a 14 bolt and your 3/4 ton with only 1 axle swap, just in case you want bang for the buck since your replacing everything anyway!

I dont know how it is where you live, here I could change/ rebuild to any 1/2...3/4 ton combo I can dream up for less than 250.00

Hope the info helped:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks