• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrading 1009 axles

az_green

thanks for the info. the guys and me went out agian this past weekend and found acouple of difficult trails. my cucv was right there with them the only thing that is keeping me there is the longer wheel base of the truck compared to the jeeps. really can't wiat to install the lift kit on it. also thought about installing the axles from a 1 1/4 ton cucv. does anyone know what the difference between the 1 1/4 frt and rear axle on the cucv, are to dana 60 axles. in january we will go out again. will bring a digital and take some pics

mangus580

I am not positive, but I think the rear spring mounts might be in a different spot on the 1-1/4 ton axle. It is possible, I have seen it done. You might look at finding a Corp 14 FF rear from a 3/4 ton civvy truck as the spring mounts are in the correct spot. I have never put a D60 front in, but I think that is not much of a problem. You will just have a drive shaft difference.

My original plan, was to put a 14FF rear in mine, and use the 8 lug hubs from my old civvy 3/4 on the 10b front. Come to find out the gov-lok in my 14b was shot :-( so I scrapped the plan in the interest of time/money

85-m1028

the cucv 14 bolt will swap right in, same pad spacing, the 60 in another story, with the 3sp 400 and 4.56 gears you start winding the diesel out at about 60 mph with 35" tires, thats quite a ratio jump from the 10bolt, if you plan on raising it up hacking out the fenders and running at least a 37" tire you'll have the 14 bolt beef and a detroit!! and some big old drum brakes!, if your looking to build a monster off road blazer go with the cucv, or you can look for a 14 bolt with a lower ratio like 3.73 at least and probably even find a 10 bolt front on the same truck with matching ratio

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the 60F install, you will need new or donor front brake hoses as they are different for the 60F calipers. Driveshaft will need a length adjustment. 60F has only 3 ubolts and 2 bolts that thread into the front housing so you will need the upper springplates from the donor vehicle. Get the 2 bolts too. New Ubolts and the 2 spring plate bolts are easy to find at a driveshaft or heavy truck dealer. Brake bias will be off after the swap. Suggest adding an adjustable proportioning valve for better bias.

az_green

thank for the info guys, it seems like a donor vehicle will need to be located. i saw in this months 4 wheeler mag there is a cucv with rockwell axles frt and rear. what is the difference between the m1008 and m1009. i have the military manual and it seems like the axles and spring are the only difference. but i guess thats why i need the donor vehicle to see what will bolt up and what will need to modified. i will let you guys know how it all turns out. for now i think it will be just a 4" lift and 35 tires

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks