• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a purchased trailer home?

TSCoating

Do they have any issues with this?

I want to buy a couple of smaller military trailers for my business and want to see if we can take a couple of our trucks up there to pick them and just hook them to the trucks and pull them home.

Probably about an hour drive or so from the GL location to the shop.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've towed 6 home in the last year. Just pop over to a Harbor Freight and get a set of magnetic trailer lights.

Unless you have a tall truck they will not run level though. Just take it easy.

MDSA

We have brought 5 home. Most trailer lunettes are much higher than a pickup hitch, so you need to plan on carefully lowering the trailer tongue, or backing up onto wood to raise your hitch high enough to connect. Also, plan on low tire pressure, trailer lights are 24 volts so you will need lights as previously mentioned, and tools - no telling what you will need.

TSCoating

Thanks, guys! I plan on getting pintles with a rise on them so they sit more level. I'd be pulling them with a 2000 Z71 Sierra and a 2005 Silverado.

I'll bring a compressor, tools, trailer lights, and some wood, just in case. :grin:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Also give the wheels a GOOD rocking just to make sure the wheel bearings are OK. In the last two year I have gotten , one that had no bearings in the hub and one that the lock nut was loose and just happen to see the wheel wobbling about 2 mile outside the gate.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring a 1 1/2 socket for the wheels. One of the trailers I got had loose lug nuts.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled a 105 from Montgomery, AL to Columbia, SC (350 miles) with a Ford F-150 without problems. Raised pintle hitch, light set, lug wrench, grease. Be sure to air up the tires, check the lug nuts for tightness, and if you don't inspect the wheel bearings, pull over and check their temprature about every 5-10 miles to start, oh, and make sure to release the hand brake - much better gas mileage that way.:wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks