• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spicer 3035 questions...

Scuffy

Okay guys here's one for ya... I've posted a few questions here and there over the past few months pertaining to my current project. I've got a 73 CJ5 that I've beefed up- going custom and fabbing up almost everything on it. Long story short I ended up getting my order screwed up with Advance Adaptors so the drivetrain setup I was going to use is on hold. (Not complaining about AA though- it was an honest mistake and they are more than willing to correct the order.) I've got a Detroit 3-53 from a Gama Goat sitting in my frame. I've stretched my cj5 wheelbase to 102 inches... I'm looking for a transmission. I have an NV4500 available to me for $500 and a Spicer 3053a for $200. As far as money goes I was thinking the Spicer. Durability-wise I've heard pros for both.

Originally I was going to use the NV4500 with the 205, ordered the all the adapters I needed. Now that I need to send one of the mis-shipped adapters back I'm back at square one with the whole setup. At this rate I can send all the adapters back if there is a better option.

My question lies in terms of the transfer case. I know that to run an NP205 on the NV4500 you'd need an adapter. Is there any way to bolt the NP205 directly to the 3053a or is my only option in that respect keeping it divorced? And if that be the case... is 102 inches enough room to use a divorced setup? I've never dealt with a divorced transfer case so I'm well out of my league here. The NP205 that I already have was married so... I know that I'd have to change out the input shaft or get an adapter such a thing exists.

What are my actual options? And if it has any bearing on the situation or decision- the odds are high that I'll have a set of Deuce Rockwells under her. That's still up in the air as to budget though.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The best answer I can give you is, I have found a Ujoint yolk that will bolt on in place of the 1410 to make it an 1130(maybe thats a 1310). That is the Ujoint my M725 uses. I'm sure one would be available in 1350 if you look. So to kind of answer your question, I think divorced is the only way to go. Some don't use short shafts between them, some just put in the Ujoint and that keeps length to a minimum. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
At that price spread I would go with the NV4500. It would save weight and even at 102" every inch of rear drive shaft is important (especially if it is lifted)
just my 2cents

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Alot of guys don't like the NVs because of the special gear oil they need to run. It is not as stout as the 3053 either. I know, in a jeep this size, that really doesn't come into play.

Scuffy

Does anyone know off the top of their heads if there is a PTO unit for the Spicer? A bolt on for the side in which to power a mechanical winch? Called the only place I know of locally that may know (Sam Winer Moters) and the rep didn't know and couldn't find any info for me. Since I'd need the NP205 for the 4wd I can't spare that as a power source.

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
yes there is, bolts to the driver side of the transmission. Uses a standard 6 blt pattern, but as far as I know the gears in the pto are specific to the 3053a/3052(same basic transmission except no o/d).
the original part number(from the early 50's) was sp-002192, which was superseded by sp-002222-2.

Last edited:

Barrman

I swapped a NV4500 into my M715 when I put the 396 in 4 years ago. It works, but for the money I could have gotten several 3053A's. Or, a 3053A, a M35 pto, pto shaft and most of a pto winch all for the price of just the NV4500. I also wouldn't have to use 1 gallon of $35.00 per quart oil in the transmission.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks