• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BTR-40 questions

Tascabe

OK - looking into the possibilty of a BTR-40 to add to my motorpool.

One thing that worries me is the official reports of "poor off-road requirements"

I have not found what that really means. Is that compared to a GAZ69 or a T-55? What did/does it not do that they determined was needed?

Also - the one I was looking at is an Israeli capture and rebuild - M37 engine etc.

Does that fix any of these issues?

Anybody have any personal experience or references that I cna research?

B3.3T

Any 4x4 that weighs that much, and does not have lockers is going to have problems. The IDF used lots of these captured from Egypt and Syria. They are fine as long as you don't get carried away off-road in soft sand or mud. Those reports were comparing it to a halftrack. Its not a halftrack.

Tascabe

That is the one that I am looking at and got me on this track.

I got some info from the www.russianmilitarytrucks.com forum

One of the guy's dad used to drive them and he made some calls as well.

Here is what I have learned:

- underpowered offroad and slow

- low ground clearance causes high-centering when going over steep banks

- fording via steep banks causes the engine to be flooded

None of those are of too much concern to me for what i intend to use it for.

It means I cannot ford very deep water - did not plan to

Cannot race at high speed offroad - did not plan to

Have to watch what I try to go over - just need to keep that in mind.

EZFEED

Good deal :) When the Israelis rebuild anything the finished product usually exceeds the originals quality and performance....jst look at what they do to our F-16's:wink:

What do you have planned for it? I can tell you this, serious to moderate offroading in armor isn't really a great idea unless you have a means to recover it if its stuck.
I do a "little" offroading with my Lizard but not much and most of it is involved with work around my pasture. I cant imagine how I would ever get it unstuck if I bogged the whole 11.5 ton machine down. :|

duncan

You'd post on here and a day or two later, 6 deuces and 4 five tons would be there to help.
Well if you posted here, I think one guy with a tatra 813 would hop by (and spend a year's pay on diesel ;)) and drag you out with 2 fingers up his nose :-D

Back on topic though, that btr in the pics is a real beauty! Too bad I don't know anything about them.

Tascabe

It would be another addition to the East Wind motorpool.

Turns out the East Germans used them up until the end so it will work for East Wind to haul the NVA troops around.

It would need a new paintjob.

I am not intending much "offroading" in the rock crawler or muding sense.

Going across fields and down roads and trails is about it.

Figure I can also take it to displays during the rest of the year. The North Koreans and North Vietnamese used the Chinese copy (Type 55) so it would fit for those era vehicle displays as well.

Maybe that seller is looking for another vehicle - like a GAZ 69A and I can trade for some of the cost:wink:

BTW - EZFEED check you pms please

kcimb

If anyone did find a decently priced btr-40 I'd probably snap it up in a heartbeat. I love wheeled armor...well, heck, any armored vehicle.

Tascabe

Today the APC fairy arrived at my house

What was that? Better check it out!

Tippy on the look out for the enemy

By big bro- duece

Front view

More pics here;
BTR 40 - a set on Flickr

Attachments

Last edited:

duncan

You sir, just made my jaw drop. Its the same as Ezfeed posted, judging by the looks and number? That's it properly stunning man! Now get it stuck so we have an excuse to drive over there :roll: Congratz!

Malyutkaman

Great vehicle!!!:-D Fills all of my vehicle requirements.
Burns dinosaurs at an alarming rate, makes noise, and upsets my neighbors.:twisted:
What you need now is a big DSHK for the gun mount on top.

B3.3T

Very cool bit of history. When I was in the Golan in 89, the Syrians still used a bunch of these.

Tascabe

You sir, just made my jaw drop. Its the same as Ezfeed posted, judging by the looks and number? That's it properly stunning man! Now get it stuck so we have an excuse to drive over there Congratz!
Same one as he posted. Got it from John and Larry over at Track Kickers | Registered ATF Importer of Military Vehicles

They have a lot of cool toys!

I am going to try and avoid the getting stuck part -it no longer has its winch in the nose for self recovery:(

Great vehicle!!! Fills all of my vehicle requirements.
Burns dinosaurs at an alarming rate, makes noise, and upsets my neighbors.
What you need now is a big DSHK for the gun mount on top.
It is suprisingly quiet - much quieter than my dueces. I already have the DSHK - ordering the parts to make it into a propane firing gun - so soon it will have that mounted up front:)

Very cool bit of history. When I was in the Golan in 89, the Syrians still used a bunch of these.
Really? Do you happen to have any pics of them?

This one is going to be painted RAL 6003 green and become an SPW-40 for the East Germans to ride around in at East Wind.

I have to do some more research on exactly what mods the Israelis made so I make sure and preserve those since it is a historically signifigant vehicle with its history.

Last edited:

EZFEED

Too cool Tascabe!!!!!! Great that you snatched it up!!!!! :-D I vote you make tippy in the BTR your AV!!!!:-D:-D:-D

You know, you probably wouldn't get stuck with those tires. I'm sure they spread the load around quite well....do you have a large enough tractor in case you do?

m5040

I was thinking about that truck, he had it for sale for years. Have you taken it for a ride on the road? I have M37's and was a little concerned about the power to weight ratio. Nice looking truck for sure !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks