• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camp Dodge, Iowa Pick-Up

CharlyArmy

As soon as I get my invoice, I'll be headed to Iowa to get my Tan Truck I bought.
Could use some advice from you guys that have picked up vehicles at Camp Dodge. Where are the trucks located, what tools do you recommend bringing, how are the guys that are working the site? Are they good to work with, will they lend any assiatance?
I was thinking of bringing a generator, battery charger, basis tools, air compressor, fuel cans. Anything else?

I have a good idea where Camp Dodge is. Has anybody been there recently? What do you need to get on the base? Is it alot of hassle?

Highwayman87

I got my deuce from there in March, it was a good day, not too cold. You'll need your Drivers license and invoice. The guy at the guard shack will give you directions to Building w4, I think. As you drive there you'll see trucks up ahead in the distance (North Lot). Stop at building w4 or what ever building it is and go inside and ask for help picking up the truck. Who ever you get will take you to the truck and if you need a jump or something, if they have time, they'll help you. Inspect your truck, make sure the numbers match the invoice. Just check the fluids, put in new batteries, check brakes, tires, axle levels, etc. Start it up and let it warm up, check that nothing is leaking. Drive it to the front gate and show your invoice to the guard and your free to go. Good Luck and have a safe trip:-D! Just be sure to stop at a service station to fill up with diesel and check everything out before setting out for home. Mine ran great and make it home 250 miles away with no problems. You'll like Camp Dodge, it's a good place to get a truck from. Congrats! One last thing get insurance on it b4 u hit the road, may need it if you are stopped or something.

KaiserM109

The list in the "ultimate Deuce Recovery List" is fine and dandy, and might be worthwhile if you lived in CA and were picking up a truck in PA. I Mapquested Owatonna, Mn to CampDodge and it is under 200 miles. The worst that could happen to you is you would have to go to Plan B and come back another day. My plan B on the last 2 recoveries was to stay overnight and find help. Collect some SS guy’s phone numbers so that you can call and ask questions.

Most of these trucks, except the ones that were obviously salvaged, were operating when they were turned in. It takes about a year to work through the system to you, so the problems that you are most likely to have to deal with are what went wrong with it while sitting with no maintenance. The exceptions to that are trucks from Louisiana that got caught in Katrina and trucks from Texas where they got the idea that they have to drain all the fluids before they surplus them.

Things that will be most likely to be wrong are low fluids because of leaks. This includes engine oil, transfer case, transmission, and axles as well as engine coolant and brake fluid. Take a couple of quarts of engine oil and a gallon of gear oil and at least a quart of brake fluid; read the TM’s to find out what type.

The batteries may be dead. Take 2 large 12 volt batteries (from a van or pickup) with you and 2 sets of jumper cables in case you have to jump it. You might even put the substitute batteries in the battery box; they have the same connectors as civilian batteries with posts.

Inspect the INSIDE of each wheel carefully looking for indication that brake fluid has leaked out. Remember it might have happened as long ago as a year and may look like an old leak. A truck we picked up in Norman, OK and drove to Denver, CO had leaked out of the RR wheel cylinder and had drained the lines all the way up to the brake cylinder and the cylinder too. After bleeding the brakes through the RR wheel only, it started working fine. We pumped the brakes periodically to keep the rubber cup in the wheel cylinder expanded. It never gave us trouble until after the trip when it sat for a week in storage.

Check out the other things that are obvious like V belts, lights, windshield wipers, tire pressure, etc. Check the connections on the batteries and clean them if you can. If it fires up for you, you are 90% there.

After you fire it up, pump up the air tanks and drain them TWICE. I failed to do that when picking up my M109A3 at Ft.Riley and there was 1/2 pint of water in 1 tank. The water got into a valve somewhere and I lost brakes completely in traffic at rush hour in Manhattan, KS. It was a pucker factor 5 situation for both me and a guy driving a new green Chevy truck.

If you have to drive on slick roads remember that the old style NDT tires are terrible on hard, slick surfaces. If you have any doubt about safety, go to Plan B or Plan C. Twelve thousand pounds of truck is nothing to be playing around with on a public road.

NEIOWA

Dodge is as easy to drive to as any post the Army has. Good access from I80/35. Small post and easy to get around.

If you're going north I'd recommend not planning on getting on I80/35 until you're familiar with the truck (if at all). I'd take Hi69 which runs parallel to I35 (lies about 2 miles to the west of I35). When you exit the new main gate (South side of post) turn left (East) and take HI44 East bound. A couple turns will get you to Hi69 South of the City of Ankeny. Route will be easy and has shoulders in most of the area. Traffic generally light.

As I recall nearest Diesel is going to be back at the I80/35 exit to Dodge. No truck stops handy.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Very helpful place to recover from. You need to contact NG Mstr Sgt, and you can get his name from the GL rep, and he will schedule you for when on Wed you need to be there. The NG guys will jump you if needed. Go thru the gate and head all the way back on the left to the 10 acre lot with all of the vehicles. It is a straight shot from the gate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks