• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Usmc m151a2 fav

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well its almost done but I could not wait to show some pictures. Still needs a day of work and some misc. details.
The MK19 is a factory sample that is made from real parts but is non functional. Like the barrel has oblong holes cut in the underside with a milling machine, etc... I could not find my belt of 40mm :cry:. Kinda worried where it is. Enjoy :-D

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Looks great! The few that I saw were painted flat black....but, I do not think they had a common paint job, just what ever the Marines needed at that time. I also, noticed on the ones I saw, nothing was the same. They were just home built. The jeep that I got real close to and looked over one day, I remember the roll bar? gun/light platforms were heavy guage plumbing pipe. We were joking with the crew, that if it was Army or Air Force the multi million dallor contract it would have had, but it looked like these Marines just went down to FacMat and got some pipe.
Two more little things, like I said the ones I saw were different from each other, what ever, or how ever the crew wanted to build it. I do remember the rear fenders were you have a radio, was covered with ammo boxes to keep the guns happy.
I have the dash mount off one they were cutting up at DRMO. It is steel plate with the top half of a M31 mount welded to it. Once again, just very low cost.
One of the few, Frank USMC

FrankUSMC

One more very little point, I never heard them called FAVs, they were always called "Super Jeeps".
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice to know the "Super Jeep" thing. I have put together a little bit of a time line on the Super Jeeps/FAV. The USMC had made two types in some qty. first was made with threaded pipe and screwed together joints the second was all welded. There are diferences beyound that. See pictures. Then the 82nd AB made some. Very much a rat patol type vehicle with baskets and brackets everywhere. See one exaple with picture. Also the early USMC ones tended to be black where the later ones were camo. These are just some of the pictures I have aquired so far. Some are in civilian hands but "unrestored"

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember seeing your FAV at the AHMTA show in March and wondering about the MK19. Great looking jeep!

FrankUSMC

The one that I had a chance to see up close must have been an early one, I do remember it being flat black and the bars on it were threaded pipe. I always carried a cheap throw away camera in the field in my flak vest pocket......I do not know why I did not get any photos of the jeep. Fell on my sword.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks