• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guntrucks Current

rorybellows

we had 923/925's with the steel boxes for about half the deployment. then they started sending us up to anaconda to get the what we referred them as the mega man uparmors. then they took our boxes out back at the ranch and they rode like shieza. i had to gun in one all the way to arifjan from taji. jessum crow, it was like riding a buckboard for 10 hours. the turrets suck cause they didnt put the hand crank in em. we also had the standard 1114. turned the pump up a bit on the rcovery truck(me) for towin the uparmored fuellie tractors that always broke down

GoHot229

Funny thing, in Vietnam those Guys were 'not' to be messed with, kind of 'Loose Canons'.......... and the trucks were refered to as 'Damn Damn's, in other words they put a dam dam on whatever was in their sights Quite a fiew had 50 cal's. One time I got to unload on a practise shoot at the 'Green line' (the pirimeter) of our base camp Bear Cat. There were numerous types of armements on them, 60-50 and 20 cal. guns. Setting behind a 20 cal. will tend to make your head swell, and make you feel 'God-like' You can actually see the rounds before they hit on their trajectory as they leave the gun, until they hit.

Last edited:

Driver523

Loose canons?---Hey---just cause we carried between 10 or 12,000 rounds for the 50s--2 to 4000 rounds of M-60 ammo, plus maybe a case of 40mm for the thump gun, a ton of grenades, a 45 on the hip at times, M-16s, maybe a law or two and anything else we could procure, talk our way into, or trade for---Then in one ambush run out of almost everything including the extra barrels for the 50s what you talkin about?--they wouldn't have given it to us if we wern't supposed to use it----The benefits of not having to pay for your ammo were unreal-------I always wished we would have put a mini on that ole truck ------Driver---------PS----the NCOIC of the Ace of Spades in 1970--- told me they run her across the scales one time-------34,000lbs----grand ole trucks those M-54s--(17 tons)----again---Driver

Driver523

Me?? My name is Larry Fiandt, Just an old gun trucker that has been fortunate to have worked with Livermore to help design gun boxes, founded the Gathering, and just plain researching gun trucks for years---in doing that I have met many fine people that have become friends and send me their photos and allow me to share them---you are right about that photo being a 603rd truck, it was taken by Rich Killblane who is the historian for the Army Transportation Corps. it was taken March 13th 2005, just where in Iraq I don't know, Rich has made 5 trips to Iraq now, here is the rest of his photos from that day, maybe you will notice something in the background that will tell you just where its at---sounds like you been there an done that--if so let me say WELCOME HOME SOLDIER----Driver

Attachments

Driver523

Here's one of my favorites---its another photo from Rich---its of some 518th gun trucks, they called themselves "the US Regulators'---it was taken a couple days after the above ones-------------------Driver

Attachments

rorybellows

hahaha cool man ya i know where its at. had to convoy our trucks up there to get uparmored. uh, the "snake base", anaconda. those in the pics are third platoons trucks. no offense, but we took the boxes out of a few of ours and they rode like sh**. luckily, we never had to test the capabilities of the kits. thanks for the memories

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks