• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did anybody inspect the recent lot at Barstow?

DoctorCheney223

Hi Folks,

I just purchased a 6x6 109 here in Vegas and now my oldest son (20 years-old) wants one. He was looking at the GL listings in Barstow but the auction already started and it's a good 2.5 hours away from Vegas to haul back if he bids on a vehicle that doesn't operate.

If you have been out there for this lot, are there any vehicles we should definitely stay away from?

thanks,
Ron

Divemaster920

Banned
Good post DR.GREG, I too had not read all of the site rules. I just assumed the normal stuff like keep it clean. Then I got to the Collusion part. Very well written and stated. Your post prompted me to read the whole "site rules".
Thanks
Curtis

DoctorCheney223

Collusion: Collusion between members will not be tolerated in the SteelSoldiers.Com forums. The following could be construed as collusion and will be deleted:
• Sharing of bidder ID numbers or names to avoid bidding against another member
• Sharing of auction numbers or lot numbers to avoid bidding on the same item as another member
• Any other arrangement between members that serves to keep auction prices low in favor of the member bidders
First time offenders will be warned. Second time offenders will lose posting privileges for one month. Third time offenders will be banned.

Asking if certain vehicles should be avoided AFTER an auction starts is considered collusion? I just want to make sure that I am clearly aware of the rules of the forum and not violating the policy of the board. I did read this forum rules prior to making the post and didn't feel that asking if any vehicles to avoid was considered collusion.

I asked on the basis that I don't want my son to purchase a lemon/scrap truck.

thanks,
Ron

WildWolfman

well, dont take this the wrong way, but I am starting to feel like GL runs this site, so I looked up the word collusion
col⋅lu⋅sion

1.a secret agreement, esp. for fraudulent or treacherous purposes; conspiracy: Some of his employees were acting in collusion to rob him. 2.Law. a secret understanding between two or more persons to gain something illegally, to defraud another of his or her rights, or to appear as adversaries though in agreement: collusion of husband and wife to obtain a divorce.

there was no where in there did he say a lot #, nor which one he was bidding on. The only way I see this even being close, is that GL would loose his bid, and help out fellow members in this forum, and I thought this is what Steel soldiers was about. If I am wrong in any way, just let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are 2 basic rules here concerning the mentioning of auctions.

The first is that we don't give people a heads up on upcoming items. "Hey, I saw these awesome M816's coming up @ Redstone", etc. The basic idea of this is that people who are either bidding or planning on bidding do not want their prospects being advertised to the world. If you want something inspected, you should word your post something like "I have an item I need inspected at Barstow, pm for details". In this instance, I think you'd be ok if you had asked "Did anyone inspect the vehicles that are coming up at Barstow?" That is innocuous enough (to me-another mod might correct me).

The second would be a post/thread whose purpose is to try and dissuade others from bidding on something you are bidding on or are planning to bid on.

Now, we always take an extremely careful approach to this policy, because as you sit on your sofa and think "this has to be legal", a hungry lawyer for GL might not.

Best to err on the side of caution.

WildWolfman

Makes sense, I am just a little flustered how the law was made to protect us ( freedom to assemble, freedom to religion, and even freedom of speech!) is now what binds us...

Well, I better stop before the thread is hi jacked.

thanks,
Steve

mangus580

Makes sense, I am just a little flustered how the law was made to protect us ( freedom to assemble, freedom to religion, and even freedom of speech!) is now what binds us...

Well, I better stop before the thread is hi jacked.

thanks,
Steve
Just remember, its a privately owned site... freedom of speech does not apply :-D

As to the collusion thing... The rule is written to protect SteelSoldiers LLC, and its members. Being a publicly accessible forum, it would be quite easy for someone to use posts as evidence that someone might be attempting to 'fix' auctions, preventing GL/DRMO/US Government from getting the best possible $$ for their items.

GL does NOT run this site. Rules concerning GL auctions on this site are put into place to protect the membership at large.

I see it as being open to possible problems:
A) I tell you a truck is junk because I want it and don't want you to bid.
B) I tell you a truck is great and P.O. others here bidding on it.
Either way I understood that active auctions were pretty much off limits. I don't have a dog in this fight, Barstow to WI. is a bit far. If the Mods let us talk about this stuff, great, I retract my post and apologize for any confusion I have caused.

WildWolfman

had nothing to do with the site and the freedom of speech. I was referencing to laws ( lawyers), and how they impose us, and our rights.
I am aware, and after talking with a fellow member, now I completely understand SS side. I am in no way saying it is SS. Besides, SS is the best run forum i have been in, and glad to reference it to friends.
I am also aware how people can effect the auctions, which is sad.:cry:

Sorry for the soap box, but it is just a shame.

Steve

P.S. Looks like you might have to drive 2.5 hours? just to see where you should spend your money.

Last edited:

DoctorCheney223

Hi Folks,

I didn't mean to cause any problems on this board (just registered). I did review the TOS and didn't think that the question was against the rules. I appreciate you folks making aware of the situation :wink:

I will tell my son to pass on this auction as he may just be throwing money away if he gets a vehicle that looks nice in the pictures but doesn't run. We have two '65 mustangs (fastback and coupe) but I highly doubt that knowing the Ford platform will do us any good with a M35.

thanks!
Ron

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks