• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 pick up in Jefferson City, MO

Andy1234

I finally decided to bite the bullet, and was the winner on a recent M818 auction in Jeff City, MO.

I've read a few other posts describing the GL people there as helpful, but have a few other questions.

-Will they help you jump-start a truck if the batteries are dead (the auction said that it was started back in March)?
-Do the trucks have enough fuel to get to a gas station, or should I bring some with me?
-Will they ask to see insurance papers, or any other legal paperwork (besides the purchase info)?
-I plan on bringing tools, oil, fluids and earplugs..any other suggestions?
-For those that have been there and done that, did you try and get a temporary insurance policy? What about plates, will the Hwy Patrol hassle me for driving it on the highway with no plates?

This is my first purchase from a GL auction, so any other info or tips is appreciated.

FWIW, I plan on driving it from Jeff City up 54 to Hwy 70, and then on to St. Louis. Any tips?

Thanks in advance, and this site has really been quite educational in the past month that I've been reading it!

Andy

grounded

Banned
I finally decided to bite the bullet, and was the winner on a recent M818 auction in Jeff City, MO.

I've read a few other posts describing the GL people there as helpful, but have a few other questions.

-Will they help you jump-start a truck if the batteries are dead (the auction said that it was started back in March)? depends on the base
-Do the trucks have enough fuel to get to a gas station, or should I bring some with me? depends. might be on EMPTY! could have a full tank.
-Will they ask to see insurance papers, or any other legal paperwork (besides the purchase info)? they will wanta see your vehicles insurance, reg, DL
-I plan on bringing tools, oil, fluids and earplugs..any other suggestions?
-For those that have been there and done that, did you try and get a temporary insurance policy? What about plates, will the Hwy Patrol hassle me for driving it on the highway with no plates?

This is my first purchase from a GL auction, so any other info or tips is appreciated.

FWIW, I plan on driving it from Jeff City up 54 to Hwy 70, and then on to St. Louis. Any tips?

Thanks in advance, and this site has really been quite educational in the past month that I've been reading it!

Andy

Isaac-1

I have never bought a vehicle from GL, but have bought several bits engine driven equipment generators, air compressor, etc. picked up from 2 different locations. All had the batteries removed, and fluids (fuel, motor oil, coolant, etc.) drained. Some had the fuel/oil filters removed some have not.

Stan

I found the rep in Jeff. City very helpful. He has a set of slave cables and will use another truck to start yours. Fuel is an unknown five gallons to put in the tank is easy insurance. All he needed from me was a copy of the bill of sale. You shouldn't need to get on the base to make your p/u. Just before you get to the guard shack turn right and theres a lot down the road on your left. I wouldn't drive it without insurance. The H/P will probably never even see you, but what happens if someone runs into you. Call the Gl rep and ask him about the p/u procedure he won't bite. Good luck and have fun. Need anything give me a PM.

54reo

I found the rep in Jeff. City very helpful. He has a set of slave cables and will use another truck to start yours. Fuel is an unknown five gallons to put in the tank is easy insurance. All he needed from me was a copy of the bill of sale. You shouldn't need to get on the base to make your p/u. Just before you get to the guard shack turn right and theres a lot down the road on your left. I wouldn't drive it without insurance. The H/P will probably never even see you, but what happens if someone runs into you. Call the Gl rep and ask him about the p/u procedure he won't bite. Good luck and have fun. Need anything give me a PM.
Stan is correct.

I would bring an extra 5 gallons of fuel, there are gas stations just a few miles down the road as you are heading back to Jeff City.

Get a temporary insurance policy, all it takes is one dipstick on a cell phone to cut you off.

Bring water/antifreeze, oil, DOT 5 brake fluid, power steering fluid, (it seems most M809 PS pumps leak for some reason), a new fuel filter (hope you don't have to change this one, as it will be fun to bleed out on the road, but that would still be better than not having one), I would also bring at least two decent batteries (Mike may be able to jump you at the lot, but you may find the need to restart on your own somewhere in between Jeff City and STL), and a decent set of general mechanics tools (including a Budd socket and LARGE breaker bar).

The last time I was at the Jeff City lot, the trucks were stored on base, so there is a possibility that you will be going on base too. Bring all of your appropriate paperwork. And l would leave any questionable items at home (firearms, needles, etc. I am not trying to say anything about you, but there is a thread on here about a GL recovery that involved a guy having a loaded handgun and needles (insulin) on him while he was trying to get on base)

As far as the Highway Patrol or any other LEO, bring all of the insurance and GL paperwork such as the "Paid-in-Full" invoice and you should be fine.

As Stan said, call Mike Snell and discuss some of these issues with him prior to going, he is a really nice guy.

On your way home, just east of Kingdom City on I-70 is a small "town" called Williamsburg that has it's own exit. Stop there at "Crane's General Store", you will not be disappointed! A real old-time general store with a little of everything! You can get a homemade sandwich for $1 there with anything on it. And they even have diesel fuel.

Lastly, bring your camera! We like lots of pics! And the "My camera had no batteries, so no pics, maybe next time" excuse will not work because you have been warned!

Good luck, and if you need anything else, let us know.

p.s. what day are you going, and Welcome to the site!

DieselBob

Andy

Like others have said be sure to take some fuel with you. When I picked up my deuce there in April it went very smoothly. I didn't drive the deuce home so I won't comment on the tags and insurance. The POC Mike Snell was very nice to work with and they had a M1009 they where using to slave any trucks that wouldn't start. If you call Mike just as you are getting there you might not need to even go on base. They store the trucks in a secure lot just off base. All-in-all I had a very positive experience there.

KsM715

Call your insurance agent. When I got my 818 from Oklahoma my insurance agent (american family) told me I was covered for 30 days after the paid invoice by the policy I have on my daily driver. I even explained to him it was a military tractor trailer truck, he said he understood and my policy still covered it. I didnt have temp tags or anything and had a hiway patrol follow me for a few miles till he turned to catch a speeder. (I think he was using me to hide behind) I did have my Jeep in tow and it had plates and trailer lights on it so he might not have seen I had nothing on the truck.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My insurance guy told me the same thing, if it is a purchase, you are covered by your current policy and the AR Highway Patrol told me I could drive it in Arkansas for up to 30 days after purchase without tags.
James G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks