• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog dash Tach

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does any one have a picture they can post of an unimog dash tachometer?
Is it the same size as the speedometer?
I have a hole in my TLF-8 dash, all the way to the right, above the hazzards knob, that has a delapidated rubber cover over it.
It is a round hole with a flat edge at the bottom.
I was looking up VDO tachs and they offer 2 sizes, one the same as the speedometer and one the same size as the oil, air, and voltage gages,
The spare hole is close to the speedometer size, and even has a hole in the upper left corner that might support some sort of hour meter reset button.

Any pix or leads on where to purchase an original would be very helpful.

Thanx

Attachments

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanx Wolf.
Any idea where those that had a tach, mounted it?
I have heard tht there were some mounted on a tube located in that position.
Just in all the TM's it shows the location covered by a large rubber plug.
And the plug is what mine has.

tahnx again forthe info.

SixSpeed

Banned
I am awfully sure a tach was never available for a 404 from the factory. At least not a 404.1. 404.0 MAYBE.

My TLF had two plugged holes. One was never used for anything (now houses a trans temp gauge), the other one had a fluid line running to there, and ran to the back. Perhaps hose pressure? My TLF had a water cannon on the roof.

The thing about non-military 404's were that for every truck made, there were different options, each was unique.

Jones

The diesel Unimogs-- 406's and 416's had tachs. They were in a big faced speedo similar to a tachygraph.
There is a small VDO tach that will fit in the hourmeter hole.
You might want to look into one of them.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanx for all the wisdom guys.
I was looking at the VDO tachs.

The only ones that were 24V were a boat series.
But then again the 24V is just the lamps, I have seen that mentioned plenty of places.

This all started when I wanted to tune the 180 engine and wanted a tach, but was then thwarted by the low noise shielded ignition system.

My distributor has the pertronix upgrade, but when I started to adjust the timing, I ran out of rotation, a nub on the distributor housing touched the valve cover, and the engine was just running smoother and smoother, and hadn't started to drop off. I wondered if it was idling fast enough, thus the need for a tach.

I have a 12V from out of one of the civi trucks I sold, and I will hook it up temporarily to do the timing.

Once again thanx to all who chimed in.

vtunimog

I did see one S404.1 with a tach mounted on the steering column, it wasn't VDO but looked definitely like it was mounted at some point in it's military career. That is the only one I have ever seen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks