• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 smoke under load

az_green

looking for advise on were to go next. i have a problem of excessive smoke form exhaust under load, i also cannot drive with the back window down. the fuel smell inside will start to burn my eyes. i have changed the oil every 3k and have chaned the fuel filter( bypassed it with antherone til i fix the leaking stock one). checked fuel pressures and they seem to be good. i don't have the tools to check fuuel pressures at the injectors. i recently changed the t-stat, which helped but still having the same problem. not sure i should start messing with the injection pump timing or not. this truck is my daily driver and i love it. just has a few bugs to work out. this m1008 is great and in almost prefect condition.
i bought it 6months ago and the only thing that leaks is the fuel filter housing, but working on that. any advise will be very helpful.

az_green

black smoke. under load. the smoke is only a slight haze when your above haly throttle, but if i floor it a cannot see the car behind me (which is nice when thier is someone tailgating you). the black smoke will not clear up it just keeps coming until you let up on the throttle

Warren Lovell

The manual says if you drive with the rear window down to make sure the front windows are also down. The area behind the truck is a negative air pressure area...ie race cars drafting. I ususally have the fan blowing full speed too, but the diesel odor still gets in.

Warren

PS -Still looking for an extra set of M1009 wheels...anyone? Bueller?

az_green

it has a clean K&N filter in it. how would i be able to check the injector operation? are there any other reasons for this to be happening. it still gets 22 to 26mpg.

az_green

just wondering if any of you experience the same conditions. all i know is diesel problems are all related to fuel or air problems. what are the running conditions of other owners? i am the only one i know of that has a cucv in the phoenix area.

DrFoster

I've seen this before, it was a combination of a bad air filter and bad glow plugs. Usually black smoke is unburned fuel, and that is even more likely if you have an overwhelming exhaust smell...

On the 6.2's I think the back two cylinders had a lot of problems with glow plugs going out. Hope that helps.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would say that the injrctor pump i pumping to much fuel ,return hose mite be bluged

az_green

well just wanted to give an up-date. took apart fuel sys and inspected. found return lines rotted out,
i replaced all rubber lines and cleaned the metal return lines. afterpurging air from fuel sys i then
ran bg diesel injector cleaner threw it. i checked injection pump timing and found it was 3 degrees advanced. resset timing to oem and ran it down the road. now the smoke is almost gone. it is a diesel and i know it will smoke alittle but now it is talerated by other drivers on the road, and i can drive with the back window down for more than a mile without my eyes watering so much it looks like someone kicked me in my family jewels. thanks for all the help guys. i recommend BG diesel injector cleaner it seemed to help out. the motor runs smoother and my fuel mileage is back up to 25mpg. you can find it at most parts stores, but be bepared for some sticker shock......$45.00 a bottle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks