• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gl says that them Mfr/sn is unknown

Defendr200

I was wondering if it means they didn't feel like looking or if this is actually a problem? This is the first time I have posted and would like to say how much this site has helped fuel my addiction.:twisted: I am planning on bidding on a couple of trucks but was wondering about the mfr/sn unknown part of the auction. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TJ

scrapman

That usually means the data plate is missing. However the VIN # is stamped on the frame GL just wont look for it. The data plate may have been removed if the truck was classified as "residue"

Last edited:

Defendr200

What does it mean to be classifed as residue? Is this bad? Also will I still be able to get all the paper work done on it without knowing the manufacturer?

scrapman

Residue means good for parts only. Usually this is notated in the description, trucks in this catagory have been cannibalized. In the case of just missing the data plate you will have to recover the VIN # yourself and you will get better results using a title service instead of GL.

Defendr200

This is the description:

** 6X6 2 1/ 2 TON CARGO TRUCK SOFT TOP MFR/ SN UNKNOWN, GVW LBS, TRUCK RUNS, METER INDICATES ** HOURS, ODOMETER INDICATES ** MILES, WHITE MDL LDT-465-1D 6-CYLINDER MULTIFUEL ENGINE DRIVING THROUGH A 5 SPEED MANUAL OVERDRIVE TRANSMISSION WITH TWO-SPEED TRANSFER CASE. **BUYER LOAD**

I removed the make, miles and hrs so as not to show exactly which truck it is. If this is wrong or will make someone upset let me know and I will remove it. I dont see where it says it is a parts truck. The condition is H7, I don't know if that has something to do with it being "residue" or not.

mbwarner

mfg/sn unknown can also mean it is an early truck that had a depot rebuild. I think when that happens the original data plate is removed, and replaced with a generic plate that has the registration number. That, at least, was the story with my 63 Studebaker.

scrapman

Click on where it says H7 it will tell you what that means. However I recently bought an H7 truck with the full intentions of it being a parts truck and when I raised the hood there was a new not rebuilt engine.:-D When doing an auction without a preview in person it is a crapshoot. But on the flip side of that coin several months ago, I bought a "runner" and I'm still working on it.aua

Defendr200

Thanks for all the great info I look forward to making my first purchase and asking about a thousand more questions.:wink: This site has the best forum I've ever come across.

Thanks alot,
TJ

LanceRobson

Once in awhile a data plate is removed for other reasons.

I've seen them removed because the truck was modified. I know of cases where drop side beds were swapped for solid side beds or winches were removed prior to turn in and the data plates were removed or altered. I've got a trucks that had both issues. In both cases I took the number from the frame.

I also know of cases where data plates were removed or switched to enable units in loosely controlled situations to turn in a rougher truck, generator, trailer etc than the item the turn in documents called for or to turn in an item that wasn't really thiers to account for a missing item.

The condition code, such as "H7" dosen't always tell you much. The code is assigned by the using unit that turns in the equipment and DOD regulations prevent anyone else from changing it. Many times the code is accurately applied but you will also see NOS and outright new items coded as junk to allow a unit to turn it in.

FWIW, if a unit turns in an item that is going to another unit of innto storage for possible re-issue, it has to bring the equipment to "-10/-20" standards (as defined by the TMs) first and turn it in with all the tools and accessories. If they turn it in as worn out or as being beyond economical repair they don't have to do all that. That's a powerful incentive to code equipment as being in poorer condition than it really is.

Lance

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The vehicle is not scrap unless it says so. In those cases it will say something to the effect that no SF97 will be issued. H7 is not scrap. S is scrap. There was a thread (probably numerous threads) on this site reference condition codes.

Once you buy the vehicle then do a search on frame and serial number and you can find out where your serial number is on the frame of the truck. Take that and do a request on the 2009 vin info thread to get the other information on the vehicle such as POSSIBLY the year and manufacture of the vehicle. Use that info to apply for your SF97 so you can then get a title and then get your vehicle registed in MD.

We have a lot of members here in the MD/northern VA/SE PA/and eastern WV. Highly suggest making the next National Capitol Region Steel Soldiers gathering. I'm sure they'll be getting together at some point in July after recovering (oh the hangover) from Aberdeen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks