• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mess kits

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
In-flight missile repairman was my favorite!
Sorry Wiggall...in the Light Infantry I ate too many meals out of mess kits...green eggs, watery SOS etc. and it was even better when it was raining hard! Let's see..the soldier on the serving line opens the mermite to serve ya...rain falls in...puts the chow in the mess kit more rain falls in...by the time ya take the first lite...ya gotta drink it cause it's a fluid now!!
No offense...but I shall not purchase a mess kit!!!!!:cry:
Oh BTW WM...i still have my P38:roll:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
To the unlearned......or those who have never had the (dubious) pleasure of consuming C-rations.....the P-38 was a can opener (yes, C-rats were in green cans with black writing on them). Each C-rat box had a bunch of P-38's tossed in so you could get into the gomet entrees packed into the box.
Most of us carried a P-38 on our dog tag chains at all times.
The best use I ever made of one was using it to change a heater hose on a Dodge Dart.
The hose had a small hole where it went into the manifold. Using the screwdriver end I unclamped the hose and then cut off the short piece with the hole in it. I slid the hose back on the nipple and screwed it back tight.
Back on the road in about 15 minutes.
Somewhere in my heap of stuff are several p-38's.

I have visited the Vietnam memorial several times and there are always a few P-38's that have been left by visitors.

The Huey, the M-16 and the P-38 are all things that bring a smile (and occasionally a tear) to my face.

Attachments

NEIOWA

The Army still issue messkits (and shelter 1/2)? IA NG did as late as 1999. Two most useless items in the CIF issue/duffle bag. The poncho being a close runner-up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks