• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DO i need the sf97 in nc?

DeuceNewb

Do i really need the sf97 for getting a title in nc? CAn't i just save myself some money and go to dmv with the invoice(bill of sale) and go that route? What is the sf97 if it's not the title itself?

jimm1009

Sf-97

The SF-97 is the Certificate of Origin to establish who made the vehicle, the year, the model, etc.
If you don't have something offical that describes this data then they would probably have to list it as a home made vehicle and theat could realy be a P.I.T.A. No DOT compliances for safety standards, not emissions controls, etc.
I would think that you want the signed SF-97 to prove the release from the government is legit. Make a color copy for your files as you will have to turn the original in to have them print a title in your name.
Make a copy of all three documents for your files.
Some state policeman tired to say that my truck was stolen and all I had to do was show him the copy of the SF-97, the copy of the title, the registration, and the state law describing the I additionally was not required to have a license plate for the former military vehicle.
It is only 60 dollars or so and I call that cheap insurance but that is strictly my 2.5 cents worth.
Good luck,
Jim

100dollarman

I dont know about NC, but I have had more than a couple of customers get them titled and registered here in Ca without the SF97! I really think it depends who helps, you, what kind of a mood they are in, and how technical they want to get with the paperwork. It has been inconsistant.

I know its not technically correct, just stating the facts of my (customers) experiences.

DeuceNewb

yeh thats what i was talking about, going the bonded route. I've bought plenty of vehicles without titles and obtained titles for them, i don't see why I need to spend an extra $60 when I still don't get a title.

jwaller

you will at least have to have the vin and make and model verified by an LEO. in Ga the tag office has a form you can get filled out by and LEO just for this purpose.

the tag office wouldn't use the SF97 on any of my trucks/trailers. I had to get the form filled out.

ANY non standard vin (IE not 17 digits) required this form. (in ga)

Chief_919

NC makes it a real pain to get a title without a title or SF97. You need notarized statements and bills of sale, an inspection by the DMV, and you must post a bond.

A GL bill of sale would be worthless unless you can get a notarized signature on it. Even then it might be worthless.

Trust me, SF97 is the way to go in NC.

zyrtecx

I had to pay sales tax for a purchase in Missouri and I live in North Carolina, so I guess since North Carolina is SOOOOOOOOOOO Money Hungry in Taxes when I go to the DMV with my SF-97 I will be taxed again on the sale price...
If that is the case I think that I will put insurance on the vehicle and drive it without a plate or register it a more reasonable state...

ctmustang

Just got my deuce title after a month of waiting. I went the bond route and was not really a problem at all. But after 75.00 for the bond I may as well got the sf97. Did not have to pay any taxes at the tag office. I guess that bill will come later-NC will not miss out on a penny since they have so many illegal imm. to feed and cloth.:twisted:

zyrtecx

No, I'm talking about being taxes again in NC, The 60.00 dollars for the SF97 is fine... I'm SICK of ALL the State of NC ripoffs... They have a freaking tax for everything in NC...

CGarbee

To title a vehicle in NC:

You need to fill out a MVR-1 (Title Application), a MVR-651 (Declaration of Eligible Risk, aka insurance form), a MVR-181 (Damage Disclosure Statement).

You will need to provide either a Title from the previous owner reassigning the vehicle to you (requires notarized signatures) or a SF-97 (with the notarized reassignment from GL to you).

Since you are getting a title for a MV, you will have to arrange for an inspection by a member of the License and Theft Bureau who will verify all the numbers and your paperwork and who will provide you with a MVR-31 (his inspection report).

You then go to a tag and title office and push the paperwork.

Since all the title offices have the same manual, and it specifically states in a section on titling Military Vehicles and other Federal or TVA owned vehicles that you MUST have a SF-97, pushing a recently purchased vehicle through without the SF-97 will be hard…

If you cannot provide a Title or a SF-97 for a vehicle, then you have to Title by Bond. You have to write a letter (with as much documentation as possible) outlining the ownership history of the vehicle that also states why it does not have an existing title or SF-97. Bond must be posted for 1.5 times the declared value of the vehicle (determined by DMV and provided to you when you call and ask). You will provide the same paperwork as above, and have the same inspection before you try to push the paper. This work around for having a SF-97 or a Title is specifically aimed at individuals purchasing antique vehicles from folks in other states that do not retain title/registration records indefinitely or that do not formally title antiques and for other extenuating circumstances (which a purchase from GL is not…).

BTW: if the vehicle is over 25 years of age, push the paper at either the Charlotte or Raleigh DMV office and not at a commercial contract tag/title office. That way, you can put Transporter (TP) plates on it for $14/year…

If you want, I can copy the section from the DMV manual for you… J

Tanner

To title a vehicle in NC:

You need to fill out a MVR-1 (Title Application), a MVR-651 (Declaration of Eligible Risk, aka insurance form), a MVR-181 (Damage Disclosure Statement).

You will need to provide either a Title from the previous owner reassigning the vehicle to you (requires notarized signatures) or a SF-97 (with the notarized reassignment from GL to you).

Since you are getting a title for a MV, you will have to arrange for an inspection by a member of the License and Theft Bureau who will verify all the numbers and your paperwork and who will provide you with a MVR-31 (his inspection report).

You then go to a tag and title office and push the paperwork.

Since all the title offices have the same manual, and it specifically states in a section on titling Military Vehicles and other Federal or TVA owned vehicles that you MUST have a SF-97, pushing a recently purchased vehicle through without the SF-97 will be hard…

If you cannot provide a Title or a SF-97 for a vehicle, then you have to Title by Bond. You have to write a letter (with as much documentation as possible) outlining the ownership history of the vehicle that also states why it does not have an existing title or SF-97. Bond must be posted for 1.5 times the declared value of the vehicle (determined by DMV and provided to you when you call and ask). You will provide the same paperwork as above, and have the same inspection before you try to push the paper. This work around for having a SF-97 or a Title is specifically aimed at individuals purchasing antique vehicles from folks in other states that do not retain title/registration records indefinitely or that do not formally title antiques and for other extenuating circumstances (which a purchase from GL is not…).

BTW: if the vehicle is over 25 years of age, push the paper at either the Charlotte or Raleigh DMV office and not at a commercial contract tag/title office. That way, you can put Transporter (TP) plates on it for $14/year…

Geez... this really ought to be posted as a sticky on the forum... or at least have a section where the various States' DOT/DMV titling info could be found -

'Tanner'

Chief_919

Got any more details on how this works?

CGarbee

Yep.... :)

The regulations governing use of the Transporter Plate got amended back when the ATHS had thier annual convention in Greensboro (world headquarters for Volvo Trucks) since a large contingent in the trucking industry wanted to drive thier old trucks to the show...

Paragraph 8 was added and states:
"To drive a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old to and from a parade or another public event and to drive the motor vehicle in that event. A person who owns a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old is considered to be in the business of collecting those vehicles."​

You can find the renewal form at:
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/forms/vehicleregistration/download/MVR16AA.pdf

You have to get the original form from the DMV office in Charlotte or Raleigh (actual State Employees at and actuall DMV office, not a Contract office located elsewhere in the state), but you can renew each year using the form above.

The first time you get the tag, you have to show what vehicle that it is being put on (if you are using the over 25 rule and are not a registered builder or dealer because you have to prove that you have a vehicle that meets the requirement), but you can move it from one vehicle to another as it is actually not tied to the vehicle... It is a $14/year tag (unless you live in certain counties where they will add an additional $5 to it to pay for regional mass transportation, etc.).

Just remember that whenever you are driving your truck with one of these tags; that you are either road testing it, or taking it to a show or a parade... Or doing something else that meets one of the ten qualifiers for having the plate.

Enjoy.

CGarbee

To add on to what I posted earlier:
Title Application (MVR-1)
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/forms/vehicleregistration/download/mvr1.pdf

Affidavit of Facts to Accompany Indemnity Bond (MVR-92H)[FONT=BookAntiqua,Bold][FONT=BookAntiqua,Bold]
[/FONT][/FONT]
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/forms/vehicleregistration/download/MVR92H.pdf

Eligible Risk Statement for Registration and Certificate of Title (MVR-615)
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/forms/vehicleregistration/download/MVR615.pdf

Added to show what it looks like, but you actually get it from the bonding company since it has to have the proper seals, etc.:
Indemnity Bond (MVR-92D)
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/forms/vehicleregistration/download/MVR92D.pdf

These and other useful forms can be found on the DMV website at:
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Forms

Enjoy...​

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks