• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! Military 64 Chevy carryall??

Colorado_Ron

I havent been able to find info anywhere!!! I have just aquired a 64 Chevy Carryall 4x4 with a 235 inline 6 and a 4 spd. I was told this was ex-military and there is a plate on the dash. I have not got it in my posession yet but Im dying to know. Does anyone have info on these? Did the military use a chevy suburban in the 60s?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron, post pics as soon as you can. I've never seen one military but many as civil defense trucks. They are really cool. Does this one have the PTO winch? I had a 62 GMC panel like this. Now you're barking up my tree. The 60-66 4x4s were among the coolest 4x4s GM ever made. Probably still have literature from them.

FrankUSMC

Yes, the military did have vehicles like this. They are called "off the shelf" vehicles. Fort Jackson years ago sold a ment 1966?(very early ford Bronco, still had 600 16 tires on it). Here at MCAS Cherry Point, for years the moble tower for the AV8 Harrier jets was a early 60s International 4x4 carryall. The carryall went to DRMO, and I waited for it to come up for auction, but a state got it before it went up for bid.
Vehicles like the Chevy carryall would have been used by the Base for range patrol, game wardens or military police.
Not as lean, not as mean, but still a Marine. Frank

Colorado_Ron

Well the winner backed out without ever looking at it, but did pay the auction. So since it went WAY TOO cheap in my opinion, I decided to keep it and do a restore on it. Not a frame off. Just get her running again and get the kinks worked out. I would LOVE any literature of links to websites that have ANY info on these military rigs. Any help would be appreciated!

Socomsam

Ron,

The data plate looks suspect. The first red flag to me was the unmatched screws. Original plates are riveted in.

Then l noticed that the numbers looked engraved, not stamped.

When l restored my MB, l couldn't find anyone to stamp info on my new data plate so l went to Sears and had them engrave it. Looks the same as yours.

Stamped plates, especially from that far back are very sloppy looking.
Even my dog tags from 1984 look bad.

l may be wrong, but l would bet the data plate is not original.

Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks