• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

needing info on a s-318 comm shelter

kc7eqo

I have a S-318 shelter with equipment rack, AC, and heater units. I am looking for any info about maintenance for these. It has a few dings in it and some holes where there shouldn't be. The roof by the door has some sag to it(inside only), but all in all its in pretty good shape. I am wondering on how to fix the sag and repaint the shelter. There is also some supports around the shelter and I am assuming there for cammo netting. I have attached some pictures to help. Thanks in advance and this is an awesome site with a lot of great info.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The supports were for a sun shade tarp. I just power washed the outside mine and repainted. I used foam in a can to fill a few extra bolt holes in mine.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice shelter. On the repairs, you can refer to manuals for the S-250 shelter in the "resources" section of this site, they are TM 11 series. The S-318 and S-250 are very similar, I think the 318 came first. You are lucky to have the A/C unit on yours, those are not there very often. I do not recognize what your shelter was originally, sorry, but there are some guys on this site that will tell you instantly. All you need now is a shelter carrier truck. Oh and by the way, welcome to the site.

kc7eqo

Thanks NDT, Ill check out the resources section.

I would love to find a shelter carrier truck! Right now I am working on a trailer so that I can tow it.

Also thanks for the tips MWMULES, do you know of any pictures of the tarp? I would like to find one or make one.

Ill start another thread for this, but thought I would share my other find. Its a AB952 antenna mast. I have more info on this and will share all that I have on it. I attached a picture of it with my Ham antennas on it. We use it for our annual ARRL field day events and I love it! :-D

Thanks for welcoming me. This sight is a great resource I have been trying to take it all in. A lot of info here. :razz:

Attachments

ONTOS66

TM 10-5411-204-13 and TM 10-5411-205-23P are probably your best starting point. They are for the S250 shelter, but cover repair and have a nice parts breakdown. Additional information that can be helpful is in MIL.HDKB. 116, TB-11-2300-372-14, SB 11-640 and TB 43-0124.

I think they are all available in resources. If not, let me know and I'll send you a copy.

Good luck with your project.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sorry no pictures of the tarp, I have a newer S250 and they don't even come with supports. I used to have a RATT one that had everything in it but the KY gear.

kc7eqo

TM 10-5411-204-13 and TM 10-5411-205-23P are probably your best starting point. They are for the S250 shelter, but cover repair and have a nice parts breakdown. Additional information that can be helpful is in MIL.HDKB. 116, TB-11-2300-372-14, SB 11-640 and TB 43-0124.

I think they are all available in resources. If not, let me know and I'll send you a copy.

Good luck with your project.
Thanks, I do have the TM 10-5411-205-23p, but I don't have the TM 10-5411-204-13 manual. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.:grin:

135gmc

Take a look at the TM for a start. The TM shows how to repair just about any damage, but remember that it was probably written 30-40 years ago, so treat it as a guidance document versus an absolute document (foam-in-a-can didn't exist back then...). I injected some epoxy into an un-bonded area in mine, and it did fine. If you have a sag in the ceiling, it might get messy, but the same approach would work. The S-318 is shorter than the S-250, but the basics are the same for all the shelters -- an exterior aluminum skin bonded to a foam core, and bonded to an interior skin. Take a good look at the Gitchner blueprints to see where the structural members are, and you'll see that anything critical or substantial is bolted to them. Smaller equipment (like the clock) is sometimes mounted with sheet metal screws, but anything else is mounted on Riv-Nuts, usually either 1/4-20 or 10-32. You're lucky to have the air conditioner - they are fairly rare. I have manuals available for most for the ACs that they used on the smaller shelters - let me know if you can't find what you need, and I might have it.

kc7eqo

Thanks guys! for the tips. I am still working on the project. I now have a new addition to the family since my last post, she is 2 and a half now. :) She takes up most of my time, but I am still moving on with the project. I hope to have some really good traction on it this summer. 135gmc I would love to have some AC manuals. Last I checked the AC compressor did not function, so some guidance on the repair would be most helpful.

Thanks again!

Matt
KC7EQO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks