• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit Diesel 8.2 and Allison AT 545

Finlandia

Does anybody know more about this DD:s 4 cycle V8 engine, and Allison transmission? This is quite rare combination in Finland. Engine and transmission is from 1990 Ontario Orion 2 Bus.

Detroit

-I have heard about head gasket problems, are they common?
-Where I can buy new head gasket, and other parts?
-What kind of fuel system it have?
-Power and torque?

Allison

-How strong this is?

Thanks, and good links would be cool.:-D

m109guy

As for the 8.2 Detroit Desiel 8.2, we have them in the MLVW's (Canadian M35). Good engines, strong, reliable, and they run well. I have heard about the head gasket thing and was told it was the early batch that had problems. The ones in the MLVW did not have that problem luckily.

You can get parts from several places. But you have to be careful as the engines have been discontinued for many years, and as of last year they do not make parts for them anymore. I was told that whatever the companies have in stock is all that is left, so get them while you can. Once they are gone, there will be no more parts available unless you can find some aftermarket stuff.

Specs on the fuel system, power, torque, etc can all be found online.

I know that you are over in Finland, and I do not know of any company in Europe that sells parts for the DD engine, but I get them from Harper Power Products (aka Harper Detroit Diesel) here in Canada. They are an official dealer.

HARPER Power Products Inc.

Hope that helps.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That engine is the 6.2's big brother, with the same lack of power. Nearly noone is using them commercially here anymore. By 1990 the head gasket problems were supposedly solved.

1310monster

They are a good engine until something goes wrong. There are different versions of the 8.2 all the way up to 230hp I think. The turbocharged engine is a lot better. When properly tuned and running well, they are about the most fuel efficient engine I can think of. However, it takes several special tools to do some of the service to them. Tools that are now obsolete. You just about have to have special training to even work on them. We used to deal in dump trucks from the Ky Dept. of Highways. They used that engine in both Chevy and Ford all through the 80's and well into the 90's. At that time, Ford didn't have a good diesel engine. They made their trucks fit the 8.2. Basically the whole truck was built around the engine. The state garage tried to build their own engines for a while. A mechanic told me they would loose half of them at startup. We bought parts at Republic Diesel. We did buy parts but every time I would go there, they would remind me that it was an obsolete engine.

1310monster

PS: the head gasket (head bolt in actuality) problem only affected the early ones like 1982 or 83. It didn't take them long to update that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks