• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange looking critter

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SEE is Small Emplacement Excavator. Basically a diesel Unimog with an off the shelf front loader and Case-designed backhoe attachment. Someone here once said using the hoe attachment is like digging a hole with a 5 gallon bucket. The Army is still having these rebuilt at depot level.

m109guy

Yeah someone posts a picture of one at least once every other month here on SS asking what it is.

A cool little unit. I would buy it just for the coolness factor. Not something you see every day.

Any idea how much it sold for, just for curiosities sake?

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
how much did they go for? That one and a less complete one sold in GA today, but I didn't see the end price.

deuceman51

As a SEE Mechanic, I will confirm that they suck to work on. You need midget hands to be able to work on it and the truck is practically formed around the operator. The cab is very tight. They were designed to be able to dig and keep up with the convoy, that's why they were used. Only recently have backhoes gained the road speed the army is looking for and that will start to phase out the SEE trucks. The front end loader is very weak, but the backhoe really isn't bad at all. I can dig a fairly large hole in a short period of time with it. $4K is not a bad deal at all for a SEE truck, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one that's in nice shape for that.

SGTStewart

Being a ex-infantry man I loved it when the SEE's came to dig our holes for us. They were able to get into tight places and made my life a lot easier. :-D
I would have love to bid on one but they looked like more work than I could afford right now. :|

airmech3839

Yeah pain to work on!!! That is why the Gov't gave up after trying to fix it and put spare parts in cab!! We had 4 in my Eng. outfit and they were neat till they broke!! Motorpool guys hated when we went to the field because of these beasts. I was running tool truck and these guys would grip the whole way to and from truck. They just wanted it to dig a deep enough hole before it broke so the dozer could bury it in it!!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warning, don't ever buy one of these SEE's. Piece of junk Unimogs... Break down if you look at them, can't get parts, and even require a set of them funny mm wrenches. Might have to read a MANUAL, too.

If you have been foolish enough to bid and win, don't despair, call me.:razz:

Tennmogger

NEIOWA

Beat the heck out of swinging a shovel. But if you want HMMWV size holes don't be in a big hurry. The front bucket was worthless, backhoe not so bad. BII also encluded a hyd. chainsaw, rock drill, and couple other tools.

German (Mercedes). US agent was Case (as in tractors).

Strip down and add pump/tank would make a great FD brushtruck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This piece of equipment belongs in the military vehicle Hall of Shame.
Right there beside the Gamma Goat.
Designed by an idiot and bought by morons.
Proof positive that before anyone can be an designer or engineer they should have to be a mechanic for a minimum of five years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks