• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Texas title

3dubs

I got my SF-97 and Florida title in the mail. I went to get my Texas title and registration. I had to go into downtown Houston because I get the disabled veteran plates and in Harris county I have to go downtown. When I give them all my paper work the lady tells me that I have to pay an extra fee because I did not pay tax within 20 days of the sale. I pointed out that this was a vehicle purchased from the federal government. I told her about waiting for the EUC and then the SF-97. She pointed out the only date on anything was the date of the sale and I would have to pay. I told her that the federal government does not do anything in twenty days. I asked for her supervisor who said she could not do anything, so I asked for the supervisor's supervisor who said the same thing. I was downtown where all the main offices are so I went upstairs to set an appointment with the man in charge of county taxes. When I mentioned my problem I was told the man in charge of vehicle registration could see me then. He met with me in a conference room and looked over my paper work. He was very nice and said they should not charge a fee for government vehicles. My letter from the VA with my disability rating on it may have helped too. But he had me just sit up there and had everthing done for me instead of getting back in line. They just brought me my paper work and temp tags and got my check.

But next time I will not open the envelope because the date on the postage gets torn off. I will simply ask the person too take note of the date on the envelope before opening it. Just in case I there is no common sense in the room again. I wish GL would simply add a piece of paper with the date the title was sent to the customer. But $60 does not cover paper.

txdodge43man

The man downtown is a good guy but everyone else that is not downtown goes cross eyed when it comes to goverment vehicles and military plates. Good to here you got it all taken care of.

3dubs

When the supervisor's supervisor said she could not do anything I got frustrated. I said that I needed someone with common sense. Then when I was upstairs talking to the man with common sense he asked who all I had talked to. Then he asked if they sent me to him. I said no they just said there nothing they could do. I already get passed around because of the DV plates then throw in a military vehicle and nobody has a clue. :roll:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the Texas law: Google "Registration and Title Bulletin #052-07" and print out "attachment 1". Clearly states vehicles bought at gov't auction with SF 97's are exempt from the penalty. I have a copy with me every trip to the tax office to settle any disputes right there at the counter . . . I've said it before, you gotta know the rules better than the girls or they will send you packin . . . without your title or military registration.

Craig A Tull

I am glade I ran across this post, I have heard of people in other states have issues with the M939A2 series trucks because the manufacture, BMY is not listed at the DMV, has anyone titled a BMY in Texas?
Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am glade I ran across this post, I have heard of people in other states have issues with the M939A2 series trucks because the manufacture, BMY is not listed at the DMV, has anyone titled a BMY in Texas?
Thanks
Yup, my title says "HARS" short for Harsco. I don't remember if the mfgr was in the RTS software dropdown or if the tax office girl had to force enter it.

Craig A Tull

Thanks ndt!
Many years ago I bought my first 404 Unimog at an auction from a municipality, it had never been titled in the US, it had been imported by a local company and then donated to the city of Seabrook TX
Well the girls down at the DMV in Baytown (where I lived at the time) kept asking for more stuff I could not provide like the import bill of lading etc. I had affidavits from the company officials that imported it (they could not find the import papers) and of course all the auction stuff, actually the "binder" was getting pretty thick, finally on about the billionth trip to DMV a man walked by looked at the paperwork and told the woman to just file it with the state and if they did not like it they would reject it, he then told me if they did to get an audience with the county tax assessor and he could issue title, and that is exactly what happened, the state rejected my title, I got an appointment to see the tax assessor in downtown Houston, we spent at least 15 minutes talking about the company I worked for and the W.E.P. (war emergency pipeline, the pipeline the company I work for was formed around after the war) and no more than 30 seconds on the title which he happily granted.

Last edited:

86m1028

Thanks
I just titled one of mine last week "bmy har" on the paper work :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks