• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Georgia MV Bill...

rmgill

This is a spin off of the Court Battle In DeKalb posting.

One thing this has me desirous of is to see about getting a comprehensive Large Collectable Truck and MV bill pushed through the state. I got damn close with one of my two bills only to have last minute oppositin from some segment of the state government.

What I would like to see is bill which sets out certain standards for Collectable trucks and MVs as NOT commercial vehicles if they're not used as such. This actually dovetails with Federal Law.
It would:
1. Premept local laws and make MVs and collectable trucks the same as RVs for the purpose of code enforcement.
2. Increase the weight for the Hobby/Antique Tag from 14000 lbs net to an unlimited standard (within road weight limits).
3. Specifically note that a Class A or B NON-Commercial license is all that is required to operate said vehicle (along with usual insurance, etc).
4. Allow vehicles with rubber tracks or steel tracks with rubber pads to be operated on Georia roads if the vehicle is registered and insured assuming the vehicle is NOT over the weight limit for the road or bridge in question. Perhaps a requirement for a vehicle commander if the visibility is strictly obscured in the case of VERY large tracked armoured vehicles.

I would need a SOLID group of Georgians to call and VERY much push for this bill. Perhaps even show up on a day at the State Capitol for a show and tell, with veterans in tow to pretty much make it patently clear for the State Legislator (And the governor) that we want this bill passed. Perhaps some signs/Posters on the vehicles lauding the bill in question would help too.

Thoughts

Chief_919

My .02, having been involved in the lawmaking process before- drop the tracked part. It gives those opposed too much ammo to attack the bill as a whole, and the only thing a legislator will walk away from reading this with is the mental image of tanks going down main street.

Fight for the rest first, get it passed, then fight to add the tracked vehicles.

ABN173

I'm stationed at FT. Lewis, WA but I am a Columbus, Georgia home owner. I will support such an effort however I can.

CW2 Dale Campbell
US Army

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
scrape the tracked MVs for now, in tx and la. thay run hood numbers

rmgill

The hood numbers is tough. It requires technical changes to the DMV database that costs money. The key thing with this is to cost the state nothing more for the effect of the bill.

DieselBob

I'm not from Georgia but it would be a very good idea to push for such legislation. I have to agree with the others about not pushing the "Tracked" issue at this point.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not in GA, but I have to agree with Chief_919, cut the bill down to a palatable size for your state lawmakers, and the amend the law after you get it on the books.

A similar thing was done here in Ohio a few years back with our concealed carry law. One of the last states in the union to have such a law, but it was so restrictive and full of impracticalities that it wasn't worth getting the permit. Since then it has gone through some changes already to make it a more "common sense" law. But it took that fouled up initial law to get the foot in the door.

Chief_919

Good thinking!
Now make it so this brings in more revenue, and you'd have a winner:-D
That would actually be feasable if you proposed a "Historic Military Vehicle" license plate. For $10-20 more a year, of course.

Make it an OD plate with white letters, and manage it like an antique auto tag. An OD plate with white letters would not look too bad on most MV's.

DieselBob

That would actually be feasable if you proposed a "Historic Military Vehicle" license plate. For $10-20 more a year, of course.

Make it an OD plate with white letters, and manage it like an antique auto tag. An OD plate with white letters would not look too bad on most MV's.
Nice idea. Would separate the mv's from other historic/classic vehicles and make it easier for the local LEO to know the mv is registered correctly.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ryan, how can I help you?

rmgill

I'll probably show to the GaMVPA meeting.

I will be looking at working up a bill over the next few weeks. We can sit down and dissect it on the forum and then we'll need to start pestering our various state senators and representatives to get the bill pushed through.

rmgill

A thought to add a bit of weight to the bill's passage, would a $15 fee taken up for the MV historic plate be a good idea? Add that to a State Veterans fund or some such?

Anyone have a good idea as to it's direction?

Fees for Georgia Motorcycle Licenses Pay for the MSF program in Ga. How many of you would be put out having to pay $15 over the extra cost of the plate for a program for veterans? What about a provision that one pays for the FIRST MV you have (ie one per year) other MV's don't have the fee levied. Ad Valorem for MV's is usually a few dollars, with the tag fee being $20 or so. An extra $15 on each tag would be a pain. Once per year on one vehicle would be nice I think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks