• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

880 engine ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, just pulled the valve cover on the old 318 and found a broken push rod. I've heard that these things have a problem with valves sticking. ANybody heard this? I worked the valve several times with a prybar and it is moving. I'm waiting on a new pushrod right now and I'm just going to pop it in and see what happens. Also, there appears to be no adjustment on the shaft rockers on the 318. Anybody have additional?
With this thing having only 11,000 miles I'm sure it has sat for incredibly long periods of time.

Attachments

McGuyver

I can tell you my experience with valve train problems on the M880 that I have since fixed.

First, the engine used to blow blue smoke out the tail pipe almost every time I started the engine, but not so much after it ran a while. Secondly, the lifters were quite noisey at start up sometimes, more depending on how long it sat between starts. Both these problems probably stemmed from the fact that even though these trucks had low miles on them, they sat unused for long periods of time. This likely caused the valve oil seals to harden and crack and the lifters to build up a film and stick.

The solution was pretty simple: I went in and replaced all of the valve stem seals, (this worked like a charm for curing the blue smoke at start up), and secondly, right before an oil change, I poured a quart of engine de-sludge-ifier into the oil and let it run at idle for about five minutes.

*It is very important that you don't rev the engine or put it under load while this stuff is in there since it acts to thin the oil and you could damage the engine*

This worked like a charm to quiet down the noisey sticky lifters, and I've never had the loud clacking at start up since.

Now I'm not so sure about your broken push rod. I'd want to know what caused it to break in the first place. They don't snap without a reason. Was the engine over revved? Was there a foreign object stuck in the cylinder?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the darned valves got stuck. I just pulled the intake off and found a second bent rod. That valve was stuck just a little bit but isn't now. The lifer had popped out of it's bore on the other cylinder and was just hanging out inthe valley. I'm going to put it all back together and see what I've got. The neighbor just drove by and said his brother has a nice running 360 in a truck he's scrapping so either way, I've got power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks