• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Preview Help at San Antonio GL

DeuceNewbie

This may be too little too late but I am considering bidding on some items at san antonio GL. Does anyone have any experience or tips to help me out? this is the first time i will be bidding.

im looking at lots 7101-7103, 7105, 7106, 7109-7112

i know its risky but for now my only plan is to bid...hope for the best and file the EUC if things go my way. havent figured out how to get it home yet. Should I attempt the 300 mi drive? or i have heard of towbars? or anyone know what it would cost to have it transported?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
DeuceNewbie

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Bought a deuce there earlier this year. All those trucks are TXNG. I would advise taking a day off work and go look at them. You can get it hauled for about $400, that is the easy route. Towbar takes a tow vehicle with equal weight. Good luck!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frodo is right, however as long as you don't mention lot numbers and specific items it is OK to discuss general topics related to the auction site. TXNG is Texas National Guard. If the trucks have "36" on the bumper, that is where the are from, likely from Camp Mabry in Austin. Trucks are also being fed to Ft Sam from Ft Hood, Kelly Air Force Base, and regional TXNG sites.

The Steel Soldiers rule is to keep us from creating bidding frenzies and allowing collusion, which is illegal.

Last edited:

dabtl

Sometimes this is a crap shoot. Sometimes not. If you can get loose to go, do so. If you have not owned a deuce before, you may not know what to look for when you go.

If you win, I can get a trailer and truck to do the recovery, I think. You need to talk to Jimmy with V V A 920 about a top for the cab if you win. He is over on University.

Good luck.

DeuceNewbie

Thank you all for your help! and thank you dabtl for the insight on the recovery! I will be sure not to mention any more bid specifics and keep it general here.

not sure if this is the place to discuss it...but any pointers on what to look for in the auction would be great like motor type..etc

dabtl

They are all six cylinder multi-fuel. Look for fluid on the back sides of the wheels. This usually means seals or break cylinder leaks. Check all fluids. Check the brakes if possible. Look for damage all around.

jimmcld

Justin,

I think the most important thing in one of these old trucks is to find one that is not worn out or rusted through. That being said, it's almost impossible to tell either from a picture. Even if you have a chance to go look at it, most people still could not tell how many miles are on it. The odometers are a crap shoot. More than likely, the speedometer, odometer, has been changed out at some time and the army does not record the previous milage. They start back at "0". Even rust can be covered up by a recent paint job.

We lucked into a low milage truck and it was just that: Luck. You can look for certain things, but it takes a trained eye.

Good luck,

Jimmy

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another little tidbit about the GL sales, the more there is of something at a particular site, the better the odds you will get a screaming bargain. This sale is the most deuces ever at one time at Ft Sam.

dabtl

I agree. And the lack of tops means a lack of interest to some degree.

With the number without tops, I suspect the guard took them for the five tons before turning them in.

nspctr1

So, did you win one? I checked them out yesterday and they all looked to be in good condition. according to the GL guy on site they were all driven in and only needed batteries. There are a bunch more on the yard they are getting ready for the next go round but they do not appear to be in as good a shape as these did. I got outbid and it went over my max so I'm still waiting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks