• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military markings

wyliek

i always forget to post this, but someone asked me today wat the symbol on the back of my m1009 stood for; its an upside down white triangle, with OC printed on it just below the tailgate crank/lock in the middle of the tail gate - any one know what it stands for??

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forget what it stands for but it deotes an officers vehicle who is officiating in war exercises I believe. Those markings indicate that the vehicle is not involved in the excersise, but merely an observer. Emmado22, sound right?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery 4x4 is right! OC on vehicles typically means it is a truck belonging to Observer/Controllers in a field exercise, and should not be shot at, ambushed, ect. Basically you can pretend it is not there... There is no official way to mark the vehicle, hence your triangle, but OC is pretty well known in the Army to mean Observer/Controller. At NTC they have birds with big orange OC painted on them, and the humvees have OC on the rear door knockouts.

wyliek

wow, i thats probably the last thing i would have guessed, however i cant say i ever had the slightest idea what it stood for! thanks

DrFoster

Here are my thoughts:

Coast Guard Meritorious Team Commendation
Camp Gruber Maneuver Training Center
Commanding General Maneuver Training Center

That's about it. I'm a Marine, and we dont mark anything on our trucks besides the ECC code and tire pressure, so I hope that is helpful in some manner.

DrFoster

ECC code identifies modern Naval and Marine Corps Units.

For instance M11310:

M - Marine Corps
11- 11th Marine Regt.
3- Charlie Battery
1-1st Battalion
0- I don't remember

That goes in the center of the front doors, and on the hood. That's all we mark the trucks with, besides the Tire Pressure.

N1265

I am just simply trying to figure out how to properly mark a "Marine" M880 from the early 80s.

It seems to me they where marked

" UNITED STATES
MARINE CORPS"

(on the doors, in two lines) But I cant rember anything else.....

I tried to get some pics from the Marine Corps history scociety But they told me they had no pictures of the M880?

Thanks, Nick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks