• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 transmission rebuild

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 53 M38A1 tranny is in need of an overhaul. Are kits available complete with seals, bearings and gears/syncros as needed? Is there a good shop that would rebuild mine or sell me a completely overhauled unit on an exchange basis? Will it hurt the value of my stock military rig to swap in a different tranny/transfer, even if they are the same stock units? All advise gratefully accepted!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can't recall seeing complete kits out there, but I am sure they exist. Check with seller wcf4 on ebay. I have bought a ton from him and he is very reasonable. I know he has transfer resealing kits.

Surplus City Jeep parts sells rebuilt driveline components, but I don't know anyone that has used them. Surplus City Jeep Parts - Parts and accessories for Military Jeeps and Trucks. Any local transmission shop should be able to do a T90 as well.

I wouldn't swap out the T90, they are great little trannies, their only fault is popping out of 2nd gear when they are worn out.

I doubt the value would be hurt too much if you swapped out your T90 for another.

MichiganDon is correct about Herm. He sells overdrives for our Jeeps, they rock.

Now let's see some pics of your Jeep!

nopics

:razz:

Last edited:

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am new to this site and have to say that I am having a devil of a time getting signed in. The site does not like my email or screename or password or something. This time I had to go to my email, reply to the notice of a reply to my post and then "reply to mail" to get signed in. Anyhow, I will try to attach a couple of photos of the jeep and the M37. It is the same M37, just with and without top and different camera/different light on the color.
Doug

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love your Jeep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish mine looked that good.

Attachments

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks and I called Herm

Thanks for the kind words, but the jeep was in this nice condition when I bought it. I would love to take the credit, but I do enjoy it. I called Herm today and am going to have him go through my trans and transfer. Thanks for pointing me his way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks