• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

removing cab on 404 wiring issue nee help

just_enough

im pulling of my 404 cab to swap motors and fix rust i have it all ready to go but the main wiring cable thats inside that sheith running from generator up to dash area what the easiest way to remove this??? should i pull it apart at the generator or what??

Attachments

Jones

Unscrew the "cannon plug" from either the cab or generator. Whichever has the least number of clamps securing it to any surrounding sheet-metal.
The knurled collar closest to the flange with the four screws is the retainer. Unscrew it (you may have to unscrew it a ways then pull out on the cable to slide up off the contact pins, then unscrew the retainer some more). Once the retainer is off it's threads, the cable end should slide out of the corresponding plug.

Reverse the procedure to re-assemble. There's a rib and slot inside so the two plug back in together in the right orientation.

SixSpeed

Banned
Maybe its because its midnight and I have been working my butt off all day, but Jones, your description really confused me, haha!

Its a pretty nice plug. You just unscrew the collar (It will be tight, Pipe wrench or small strap wrench is what I use). Once you loosen it up a little bit you can unscrew it the rest of the way. Then the plug will just pull out, simple as that.

Like Jones said, there is a slot so the plug can only go back together one way, makes reassembly easy.

A word of caution though:

The threads are aluminum, and are very fine. When reassembling make SURE you have the plug lines up perfectly before screwing on the collar, I have seen many 404's with the first few threads ruined on the voltage regulator (the box in question, on driver footwell).

Jones

Exactly right on the fine threads SixSpeed.
Didn't mean to confuse but I've had old Cannon plugs (usually under deuces or five tons... or 404s) that didn't want to slide smoothly enough for the retainer to force the plug up and off the contacts. Had to kinda unscrew and pull, and unscrew and pull. Pulling on the cable (or pushing, if connecting) takes a lot of the load off of the threads.

just_enough

well i felt like a complete idiot at how easy the plugs were i actually had both unscrewed and just didn't have the brains to pull!! but how bout taking off that steering wheel....i tried a 2 finger puller but works like poop I'm gonna get a 3 finger one tomorrow, that is the last step then the cabs off!!!

just_enough

well i got the cab off, pulled the intake and exhaust manifolds and found all kinds of corrosion and marvel oil seems that someone already tried to unlock the motor,:roll: i also found a bunch of condensation in the oil on the cam top end...etc, I'm not gonna even try and save it I'm just gonna slap in the other motor and get her purring well that's the plan anyway

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks