• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge CUCV Dana 60's?

Taz

I came accross a set of axles that I have never seen before. I wonder if they are from the M880 series? THe front is definatley an open knuckle Dana 60, the rear is a Dana 60 or 70. They are painted OD green and appear to be military rebuilt. The front differs from Chevy CUCV's as the hubs are the old Selectro- style with I think 8 bolts to hold it to the hub/rotor. The tag indicates 4.88:1 gear ratio! Is anyone familiar with these and did Dodge build one ton or 5/4 ton trucks? Do they have lockers? Thanks!

98hd

All the chevy 60's had internal hubs. Also, I don't think any ever came w/ 4.88's

Dodge axles did have the option of 4.88's, and used external hubs up until the later years, but an M880 wouldn't have a D60 front. It could have been from a dodge air force truck (those crew cab ones had a 60 front).

ida34

M880's had a heavy duty open knuckle dana 44 up front. I got some parts to replace some on my 3/4 ton dodge from 880 surplus. I think the backs are dana 60s. The fronts can be recognized because they have no locking hub only the nut to hold the hub on the axle like a fwd car. I think the 880s were 4:10 but I am not sure. I have a heavy duty 44 on my 1/2 ton snow commander and to convert to 8 lugs hubs all I need to change is the Rotor and hub and the brake caliper and bracket. The cucv trucks are much heavier made.

Taz

More facts on these axles

I pulled the covers today and they do indeed have 4.88 gears. The date on the ring gears indicate 1974 or 1975 model year. I believe they are out of a Dodge truck as the spring perch on the front axle (LH side) is cast iron, where as all of the Chevys I have see are stamped steel. These are the first I can say I have see with external hubs. Does anyone know of any interchangability issues with Chevy's? Thanks

98hd

More facts on these axles

Taz said:
I pulled the covers today and they do indeed have 4.88 gears. The date on the ring gears indicate 1974 or 1975 model year. I believe they are out of a Dodge truck as the spring perch on the front axle (LH side) is cast iron, where as all of the Chevys I have see are stamped steel. These are the first I can say I have see with external hubs. Does anyone know of any interchangability issues with Chevy's? Thanks
The dodge spring perches are about an inch narrower than a chevy. The springs will give enough to bolt them up. Dodge guys do just the opposite when putting in a chevy 60. Also, the WMS distance is about 2" narrower than a chevy 60 @ 67.5" I believe, where a chev is 69.5.

The knuckles spindles, stubs, brake brackets, calipers are all the same as chev 60 parts. You can even put on the later style internal lockout hubs from the chev's and later year dodges, just need the new hubs and lockouts.

Taz

Thank you for the info

Thanks to everyone whom helped with supplying info on these axles. Greatly appreciated. Gary

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be a bill of materials number stamped in the tube closer to the housing. Should also be a date stamp. Take this info to a HD Parts & Driveline place that carries Spicer and you should be able to get the origin of the axles

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks