• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

loud noise?

elvis3006

when driving,and i come to a stop, i push in the clutch to change gears a loud groaning noise rises out from beneath the gear selector. why is this happening,this only happens when i am stationary. i have a 43 GPW. thanks for any help.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Groaning only happens when the clutch pedal is pushed in? And only when stopped?

hole

Did it happen after sitting un-used for awhile ? Years ago I bought a 55 GMC truck that had sat. When I first got it running and pushed in the clutch it made a heck of a groan, ended up being rusted/worn out clutch pedal assembly. I hope its something easy , good luck!

elvis3006

would changing the tranny oil stop this,could i be low in the oil? also i noticed it only wants to make this loud groan when i push the clutch all the way in.

Carter

If the noise is the result of a dry pilot bushing, changing/adding gear lube would not help. The bushing is ahead of the tranny and pressed into the flywheel end of the crankshaft and can only be lubed after the trans. assy. is pulled back out of the bellhousing giving access to the center of the flywheel and crank. With the clutch pushed all the way in and the engine running, the trans. input shaft doesn't turn but the flywheel and crank do, the input shaft rides on the rotating bushing, without lube the bushing and shaft give a vibrating, growling noise much like you describe.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks