• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1948 willys jeep

mrcucv

hey my GM ASEP teacher has a 48 willys jeep he might sell to me. Ive wanted a willys forever along with a duece. i want it so bad so hopefully ill get it. He said he has to ask his nephew. It comes with a parts jeep too. Also has a plow. I mean come on this thing is great. He has owned it since 1979 so hes kinda wiery about getting rid of it. it has a 329 in it. What do you guys think?

mikes47jeep

the 48 and 64 are 2 diffrent animals 48 is most likely a cj2a or 3a and the 64 is probibly a cj5, chassis are the same, same trans, axels, springs,ect the bodys and engines are diffrent

Mike

BillF

Chassis on a flatfender jeep and a cj5 are not the same. they are not even the same between the 2a and 3a. The cj5 is longer, and has an inch longer wheel base.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's with the 329? Those old jeeps are bad enought with the 9 in brakes, don't need any more power.

mrcucv

yeah i know the bodys are different this guy just has the 64 as parts. i dont know all too much about this thing or even if i get it he has to talk to his nephew

BillF

good luck with it and if you get it and need help I live in southern NH. I also have a flathead I can sell you, makes the jeep better. Big engines tend to break all the parts.

mikes47jeep

Chassis on a flatfender jeep and a cj5 are not the same. they are not even the same between the 2a and 3a. The cj5 is longer, and has an inch longer wheel base.

the 2a, 3a, 3b all had an 80" wheel base true the early 5 had 81"

however

springs are the same, axels are the same, trans/transfer, are the same

Mike

emr

My first Jeep was a 48, the 329 may be a deal braker, it will probably drop drive shafts, if U get on it on hard pack, Have seen that before, My M38 has a 255 Buick V6 that pushes 155 horse and is dangerous in second, and I have 11 inch cj 5 brake set up on it and it stops just fine, so that is a route U can take to make the brakes better. the flat heads are a better choice, it is what the vehicle was made for, just sying, but hey, go for it, just be careful u could roll it eaasy hitting the gas in a turn with that motor ...:-D...Randy

jeep-Jeep

Either way that is a good deal just not military .
ask about titles .
and emr is correct the motor is too much for that little jeep.
and the f head is not correct either in the CJ5

LightCorporal

Jeep-jeep is correct about the over-powered little jeep.
Whenever anyone mentions a large engine in a smaller vehicle,
I recall (fondly) my first 4-wheeeee! -drive vehicle: 1951 Willys P.U.
I broke more axles with that V-8 engine.
(Don't report me to the thread police about this, but:
y'know the scroll "W" on the Willys tailgate? A girl I was dating at
the time looked slyly at me and said, "That's not really a VW, is it?"
clever chick!)
-James

LightCorporal

Jeep-jeep is correct about the over-powered little jeep.
Whenever anyone mentions a large engine in a smaller vehicle,
I recall (fondly) my first 4-wheeeee! -drive vehicle: 1951 Willys P.U.
I broke more axles with that V-8 engine.
(Don't report me to the thread police about this, but:
y'know the scroll "W" on the Willys tailgate? A I was dating at
the time looked slyly at me and said, "That's not really a VW, is it?"
clever chick!)
-James

LightCorporal

Lawsy me, chile! These here machines are so much smarter than I!
I tried 3 times to correct my last post which mentioned " ... a girl I was dating ..."
and this store-bought contraption refused to write that 4-letter word ("girl")!
What a fussy machine this is! I blame the FBI and Elvis, too, plus the Martians.

mrcucv

good luck with it and if you get it and need help I live in southern NH. I also have a flathead I can sell you, makes the jeep better. Big engines tend to break all the parts.
hey man thanks. yeah i know where hillsboro is i used to drive through there to get to my girlfriends house in washington. i would like to put a flathead in it at sompoint. my other shop teacher has to give him an old truck before i get it though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks