• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

found 4 in south TX

TexRdnec

yes, they're on a heavy equipment sales yard.

i'll try to get a phone # or something for them today, they're less than two miles from my house

saddamsnightmare

August 20th, 2009.:-D

And the good news is...... They use the german folding cab paulin and probably the bed tarpaulins, last I checked you'll only be out about $2700.00 for cab and bed covers!:twisted: Change the gear oils and engine oil, and if you're gonna run them much get the pertronix electronic ignition and civillian distributer cap and adapter. They'll run forever if you keep the rust under control. They have a 134 CID 6 cylinder gas engine, manual says they'll do 100KMPH briefly (66MPH), but they prefer to run at about 60KMPH or roughly 40-42 MPH. The transmission has brass and bronze sleeves instead of roller bearings, so they really hate running fast for any length of time. What you have here are 4 very fast tractors or 4 very SLOW trucks.
They'll still tear up a HMMWV as to where they can get to and what they can carry, they just can't outrun anything but a farm tractor doing it. Once you drive a good running Unimog you'll never go back to those sissy American trucks for off roading:razz:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

N.B. the one on the front right has a Swiss or Belgian bed on it, the one on the left rear appears to have a German bed, and the other two?????

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one on the right front does have a Swiss bed and toolbox, but looks like a German-style truck otherwise. There are a lot of detail differences between them.

The good news is that you wouldn't have to buy a Swiss cab cover for that one (read- expensive). To put a German style cover on a Swiss truck, you have to change out the complete windshield assembly.

I notice that truck also has the "roll bar" in it for mounting three-point seat belts. It is not really rollover protection, just a very stout mount for the shoulder straps. I retrofitted one into my Swiss Mog since it was not originally fitted with any seatbelts at all.

A quick recognition point for unmodified Swiss trucks is no blackout light cutouts in the front bumper and clear rather than amber front turn signals. Swiss trucks also do not come with flag holders on the fenders, or bridge plates. There are a bunch more details between them.

I will reaffirm the S-L-O-W aspect of the Mog on the road. Very slow acceleration and will NOT maintain speed going up even low hills! But they are a blast to drive, very manouverable, and plenty of power off road. My favourite Mercedes convertible!

Cheers

Last edited:

TexRdnec

the yard belongs to the same people whose sticker is on the doors, tennesse pipeline out of sinton, tx.

their # is 361-364-2703 and there is a sign attatched the the fence that says, "sale."

ETA: this yard is located along hwy. 77 on the southbound side, 3 miles south of sinton, tx.

Last edited:

tamangel

that number comes back to:

Adair Jimmy C
Po Box 250
Sinton TX 78387
Phone (361)364-2703

or

Tennessee Pipeline also, same address: Pan-Tex Pipeline Co‎ different phone number..
917 S San Patricio St
Sinton, TX 78387-3505
(361) 364-2703

what address shows the facility on Google Street View?

Mike

Last edited:

TexRdnec

that number comes back to:

Adair Jimmy C
Po Box 250
Sinton TX 78387
Phone (361)364-2703

or

Tennessee Pipeline also, same address: Pan-Tex Pipeline Co‎ different phone number..
917 S San Patricio St
Sinton, TX 78387-3505
(361) 364-2703

what address shows the facility on Google Street View?

Mike
neither, one is the owners mailing address and one is their main office. this yard they're physically at is smack between sinton and odem on hwy. 77.

try my physical address for a match to within one mile of travel down 77 (i live right on the hwy as well):

6673 hwy 77 south
sinton, tx 78387

ETA: they are approximately one mile south from where that address SHOULD put you

tamangel

unfortunately, google street view doesn't match data base addresses accurately on the ground.. (check your own and see how far away the actual location shown is from your place) What does the business look like, palm trees, a bunch of trailers, quonset hut..etc.. Just trying to help other folks out here.. I'm too far away..

my best guess:

google street view address of : (again, not the real address, just what shows on google for the street view location..)
6415 US-77, Sinton, TX, United States

Mike W

TexRdnec

i downloaded google earth to try and help you out but everything is blurry as hell. you can't even make out to 50,000 gallons worth of propane storage tanks at my house..............was that what you were using?

kinetichotshot

Wow, Drove right past that place today and didn't even notice! I was even in Sinton for a couple of hours today before heading back home! I guess I really need to pay more attention to lots on the side of the highway!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks