• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint Stripper

TACMED

A friend of mine rebuilds "Mules". He has made some paint stripper for me. This stripper comes from a 1940's Popular Mechanics, it really works well and it is made from household ingrediants. The truck that I am using it on has atleast 8 coats of paint and it is slowly but surely cutting it off. the best part of it is that it cost about $25.00 to make ( For 5 Gallons) if it works like it has before and any of you are interested I will put the recipe on here. Stay tuned

Longhunter7

Secret Recipe

TACMED,

I would be interested in the paint stripper recipe!

Have you tried to find any of the original markings on the hood or bumpers?

Be careful when removing paint, if you are trying to preserve the old markings!

The paint on my M37-B1 is fair. I will have to wait until I get the rewiring done, to look for the original markings! :arrow:

mangus580

TACMED, sounds like a Tech Article in the works.... PM it to me please? and I will post it! See if you can get exact source info from teh Article? year/month, etc?

TACMED

Numbers

Longhunter,

Believe it or not but at one time the numbers were put on as decals. this was done by the unit becasue there is about three layers of paint on top of the decals. the numbers are easily found. but thanks for the heads up anyhow.

Oldfart

If you are really interested in the original unit markings, there may be changes through the military life of the vehicle. My M220 had black unit markings stenciled on under a coat of white paint and then vinyl markings on the final coat. The vehicle number and ID were the same, but there were different Garrission and Mission Division identifiers. I never could find markings on the original OD paint but those would have been white and probably blended with the second coat of white paint.

AN/GRC-46

Well, if the stripper involves using lye, as one poster linked, that has to be one of the most insane things I've heard. In my brief carreer of restoring vehicles (3 total) I've found that the only effective stripper is a rotary power sander. You'll do more in a few hours than you can do in over a week using chemicals. And it's environmentally friendly and a whole lot easier to clean up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks