• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Huntsville City Limits weight restrictions

dcwilkie

I didn't know this until today, but apparently I can't own a Deuce and park it at my house in the city of Huntsville. Apparently there's a weight restriction ordinance that limits trucks to 3/4 ton. Also found out I can't sell but one vehicle at a time when I said maybe I could sell them all this weekend. I have until noon Monday to move them into a storage lot somewhere.

My guess is some neighbor felt freaked out with the military trucks (so imposing) in my yard.

Even the M109A3 Margaret and I had started to convert into an offroad camper has to go.

Sucks...:evil:

Anyone else in or near Huntsville, AL have a visit from Mr. Wayne Layman?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that weight limit for everything? does anyone in the city own a RV and park it at their house? get the M109 registered as an RV. I had an old school bus that the city of Norfolk was giving me hell about a 'commercial vehicle' ordinance. So I re-registered it as a motor home. Just had to drive it to DMV with all the seats out. If you have started the conversion, you could do the same thing. Provided AL lets you...

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't know this until today, but apparently I can't own a Deuce and park it at my house in the city of Huntsville. Apparently there's a weight restriction ordinance that limits trucks to 3/4 ton. Also found out I can't sell but one vehicle at a time when I said maybe I could sell them all this weekend. I have until noon Monday to move them into a storage lot somewhere.

My guess is some neighbor felt freaked out with the military trucks (so imposing) in my yard.

Even the M109A3 Margaret and I had started to convert into an offroad camper has to go.

Sucks...:evil:

Anyone else in or near Huntsville, AL have a visit from Mr. Wayne Layman?
So, I guess that means no one in Huntsville owns a dually pickup or other pickups with a 1 ton designation. Under the limit you mention, they would all be illegal also.

ABN173

ORD 98-810
refers to truck routes but it has a non-business exception:

Section 4. Under this ordinance a, commercial vehicle shall include any self-propelled
or towed vehicle wmch alone or in combination possessed dual rear wheels or more than two axles, except that is shall not include any vehicle with dual rear wheels or more than two axles that is used by an individual or group of individuals solely for private and non-business purposes, emergency vehicles, military vehicles, and vehicles owned, leased or operated by federal, state, county or city governments or any political subdivision thereof.

(Still looking more info would help)

Dale

Last edited:

goldneagle

ORD 98-810
refers to truck routes but it has a non-business exception:

Section 4. Under this ordinance a, commercial vehicle shall include any self-propelled
or towed vehicle wmch alone or in combination possessed dual rear wheels or more than two axles, except that is shall not include any vehicle with dual rear wheels or more than two axles that is used by an individual or group of individuals solely for private and non-business purposes, emergency vehicles, military vehicles, and vehicles owned, leased or operated by federal, state, county or city governments or any political subdivision thereof.

(Still looking more info would help)

Dale
We had the same problem in NJ where I used to live. Any commercial vehicles over 5000 pounds were not allowed to be parked in a residential property. You could have a 20,000 lb motor home because it was private use not commercial!

I'll bet it's the same in Huntsville. Don't panic! Ask them for the actual violation in writing including what ordinance it violates. You can also ask for an extension. Most municipalities will work with you as long as you show good faith in resolving the issue.

Last edited:

ABN173

comdiver

Fun! A number of years ago I had a DUKW that I was working on in my driveway. They gave me a hard time about a unregister, uninsured vehicle. I ran right down and registered my"boat" for $9 for three years. Makes you happy to pay your tax.

goldneagle

I'm just glad that Louisiana is MV friendly state! They even have a special deal on Lifetime registration for MV's for less than $50. It is a one time fee!!!!!!:-D

dcwilkie

Knowledge is power. You need to know exactly what ordinace you are alledgely in violation of. I am searching through the City of Huntsville Municiple codes right now and I am not seeing anything that even mentions MV's or wieght limits. We need more information please.

Try: City of Huntsville, Alabama *** Huntsville *** Alabama *** (click tab search city laws)

-Dale
Here it is Article 73.14 under Zoning Ordinances:

73.14. Residential parking modifications.
For the purpose of this section, parking means the keeping on a residential lot of a vehicle regularly used or owned by a member of the residential household. A motorized vehicle that does not have a current license registration or tag is deemed to be stored only and shall not be parked in a residential yard. The following provisions of this section shall not apply to passenger automobiles or passenger vans or pickup trucks.

73.14.1 The parking of a truck, bus, or commercial vehicle greater than three-quarter ton or 9,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) shall not be permitted on any residential lot, except that a truck, bus, or commercial vehicle not greater than 1 1/2 tons or 16,000 pounds GVWR may be parked in a fully enclosed accessory structure on a residential lot. This provision includes bus conversions.

73.14.2 Refrigeration units and generators attached to vehicles shall not be operated while such vehicles are parked on a residential lot.

73.14.3 All motorized vehicles shall be parked off-street, not within nor overhanging any right-of-way, and shall not obstruct vision with respect to traffic entering or exiting any adjoining or nearby driveway or street, nor obstruct any pedestrian walkway.

73.14.4 The occupancy of any motor home, camping trailer, or similar vehicle designed or intended for occupancy is prohibited while such vehicle is parked on a residential lot.

73.14.5 All vehicles that fail to comply with section 73.14.1 shall be removed by the owner or person responsible for same within 90 days after the effective date of this ordinance, and thereafter it shall be unlawful to maintain such vehicles on a residential lot except in conformity with this ordinance.

73.14.6 No variances from section 73.14 shall be permitted.

(Ord. No. 02-1005, § 1, 1-23-2003)

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?sid=1&pid=12962

Wonder who complained?

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here it is Article 73.14 under Zoning Ordinances:

73.14. Residential parking modifications.
For the purpose of this section, parking means the keeping on a residential lot of a vehicle regularly used or owned by a member of the residential household. A motorized vehicle that does not have a current license registration or tag is deemed to be stored only and shall not be parked in a residential yard. The following provisions of this section shall not apply to passenger automobiles or passenger vans or pickup trucks.

73.14.1 The parking of a truck, bus, or commercial vehicle greater than three-quarter ton or 9,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) shall not be permitted on any residential lot, except that a truck, bus, or commercial vehicle not greater than 1 1/2 tons or 16,000 pounds GVWR may be parked in a fully enclosed accessory structure on a residential lot. This provision includes bus conversions.

73.14.2 Refrigeration units and generators attached to vehicles shall not be operated while such vehicles are parked on a residential lot.

73.14.3 All motorized vehicles shall be parked off-street, not within nor overhanging any right-of-way, and shall not obstruct vision with respect to traffic entering or exiting any adjoining or nearby driveway or street, nor obstruct any pedestrian walkway.

73.14.4 The occupancy of any motor home, camping trailer, or similar vehicle designed or intended for occupancy is prohibited while such vehicle is parked on a residential lot.

73.14.5 All vehicles that fail to comply with section 73.14.1 shall be removed by the owner or person responsible for same within 90 days after the effective date of this ordinance, and thereafter it shall be unlawful to maintain such vehicles on a residential lot except in conformity with this ordinance.

73.14.6 No variances from section 73.14 shall be permitted.

(Ord. No. 02-1005, § 1, 1-23-2003)

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?sid=1&pid=12962

Wonder who complained?

I see the language excludes passenger autos, passenger vans and pickups from this ordinance.

ABN173

I received your PM Dave, wow, that really bites......I would relocate them as you said but I can't help but feel you can still fight the issue after the fact without having to spend money you don't have on legal fees. Methods include but are not limited to writing your elected goverment officials, MVPA, local veteran's groups (esp if you have assisted in events like parades etc) local media and some others I have missed. In your shoes I would comply but I would still put up a fight ....make em feel like they knocked down a bee nest!

good Luck sorry your getting harassed like this.

Dale

dcwilkie

M36A2 has been sold.
I may keep the M109A3 out at an RV storage a couple of miles from my house. Trouble is, if I do that I'll bet the camper conversion will not proceed. I'm one of those guys that has to have easy access to actually get stuff done.

dcwilkie

M109A3 may be sold. Looks like I'll have to park the M35A2 at the RV park. It's the nicest one out of the three and I wouldn't mind keeping it.
I'm checking to see if I have access to the RV park here on base. I'm a civvie contractor, but have MWR privelages, so we'll see.
Confirmed that several neighbors complained. They were scared I was starting a militia or something. Wish I could find out who they were. I'd like to talk to them. ;-)

jrou111

You need to move to Limestone County ;-)

I kept my trucks at a friend's house right off County Line road outside of Madison. He has 7 acres of land.

Sounds like you need a M1009 :)

AceHigh

I know nothing about a militia, but if I was to join one, I bet I would want modern trucks that would not cause attention, not a 40 year old thing that jumps out at you when you see it and requires an equal amount of tinkering for each hour of use.

I guess the folks out there are using their imagination a little too much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks