• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce on the way!!

DeuceNewbie

Well i won my first deuce today at Ft. Sill, Ok!!! now what do I do?:-D? I didnt think that far ahead, actually i did but now the reality is just setting in. So my plan is to take two batteries of which i do not know the type or size with me and a few other things along to try the recovery. i think my worst nightmare is the truck not even starting! so how bad of an idea is this? any suggestions? i will send the EUC tomorrow its my first time any ideas on how long it will take to be approved?

thanks!

Carl_in_NH

Many threads on this - search and read, read, read. Batteries - as big as you can get - a pair of group 31 are a good starting point.

How good are you with a wrench? Have you read through all the TMs on the truck?

When you're done learning all you can, then you can weigh what you've learned and how comfortable you are doing the recovery vs spending some money to have it trucked to you.

How far a drive is it?

-Carl

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carl_in_NH hit the nail on the head....read read read!!

If you have not yet, download and read the TM's, at the very least read the -10 TM. They are available free in the resources section to download.

Read up on the brakes, and about other peoples recovery efforts. If you are not comfortable turning a wrench, then do yourself and everybody else on the road a favor and gave it hauled home.

If you feel comfortable being a shade tree mechanic, then the recovery will be fun to say the least. If you know anybody near the base where the truck is located you really should make arrangements with them, or find someone who will let you park the truck for a couple of days after you get it off base if needed. I say this because if the brakes need work, you'll have to get them working before you even think about driving it. I CAN"T STRESS THIS ENOUGH...MAKE SURE YOUR BRAKES WORK!!!!! If they don't then don't try to drive it anywhere.

DeuceNewbie

thanks for all of the responses

for some reason no one was "allowed" a preview at the ft sill gl!

I knew it was risky but it is the closest to me (170 miles) and the trucks LOOKED nice but thats neither here nor there. i know site unseen is not the best idea..

Im working on reading the manuals at the moment just didnt know if anyone had a good crossover battery or numbers to go by?

I have worked on tractors and other equipment my whole life...ha but 23 is not that old......just wondering if i caught the MV bug too early? just something about those deuces made me think i needed one!

im not planning on doing anything crazy like driving it if it is unsafe, but ill keep my fingers crossed until i get to it to see what condition it is in!

anyone else win anything from there? i may see if i could schedule my pick-up around the same time to catch some last minute advice from someone more experienced.......or maybe a jump:)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The GL crew there (if they are worth their salt) should at least try to help you jump it.

If the starter is bad you can also pull/push start it if they are willing. Bear in mind that if you do this and stall out somewhere you may become a "toad in the road". Unless you have a vehicle with you big enough to pull it off again you are screwed and will have to call for a tow.

Put it in HI RANGE, 4th gear to do this.

If the batteries are real dead you will not have lights/turnsigs/brake lights until they have charged for a while (assuming the alt is good).
The best idea is to take two extras with you...go to Wally-world or your favorite parts house and get two with the highest CCA rating you can get.
Then you will always have spares to swap out or to jump start with.

MAKE SURE YOU HOOK THEM UP CORRECTLY or you will fry something.

Go through the threads and read some recovery stories and see how other folks fared when they picked theirs up.

Good luck.

1qwkgoat

If you don't mind me asking how much did you end up winning your truck for? I'm from shawnee,Oklahoma so I was watching some of them at fort sill. I didn't get to send the end of the auction so I don't know what they went for and I'm kinda curious to know.

For the EUC I won a deuce at camp dodge and my EUC was sent to Battle Creek on 8/13/09. I'm still waiting on it.

Don't worry about your age I'm 23 also. Plaenty of good people on this site to help you out. Definately read you TM's then ask any questions.

You might PM Warthog if you want to know anything about Fort Sill he recovered a deuce from there a couple weeks ago.

DeuceNewbie

Thanks to everyone ill report later but for now to put some at ease it looks like i can rent a flatbed trailer for $100 which is probably the best route!

1qwkgoat

Thanks to everyone ill report later but for now to put some at ease it looks like i can rent a flatbed trailer for $100 which is probably the best route!

I would imagine it hard to find a flatbed to rent that is capable of carrying the weight of a deuce. Also do you have a truck and a hitch capable of safely pulling and more importantly stopping that much weight.

nhdiesel

This was a 500 mile haul from PA to N.H. Notice the trailer in the back of the Deuce...
02-15-08_1423.jpg

It actually towed fine. Thats one of Beaubeau's trucks (and him driving the Duracrap pulling it...)

Jim

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up my deuce at Ft Indiantown Gap in PA. It took 3+ weeks for my EUC. I drove it home approximately 700 miles with minimal problems. Although my deuce started right up, the GL guy at Ft Indiantown Gap told me that unless he was extremely busy he always helped pick-ups starting their deuces with a slave cable. You might want to call GL at Ft Sill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks