• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins NHC- 250 mutlifuel?

mdsuave13

Is the cummins nhc-250 used in the m-8 series trucks a multi fuel diesel?

I was curious because i had seen older trucks and newer trucks with multifuel capability, but haven't found anything solid on the m-818's with the cummins non turbos....

Many thanks.

also, what can run through them if they are? waste oil? tranny fluid? veg oil? etc?

emr

No, It is a diesel, the multis were in the older 5 tons known as the G-744 series mostly known as older 5 tons with the multis to me, and deuces of course they had 2 types the first the 427 then the replacement the 465 this is the motor found in the older 5 tons they were basicaly the very same motor, not a cummins in the lot...the M-8 series ,the way U mention it i hope u do not mind the lesson,of vehicles had a few types but no cargo trucks, mostly known for the M8 Armoured car from WW2, The 800 series that I and alot call the 5 tons U are talking about with the cummins are the G-908 or M809 series , all these trucks had alot of varients with numbers in the ranges of the 800s , but hardly any follow any standard of order. the closest to doing this is/was the 900 series that I know of and thats what most call them but they are the M-939 series to be correct. the last of the greats for sure in there series of types of 5 tons...

Last edited:

Stalwart

Even the LDS-465-2 was a "non multi." as it was set up to run at much higher power levels. Nice engine, if you can find one. They were only installed originally in the Ford 8x8's, M656 and variants.

area52

Just as a side note, most, if not all diesel engines can run a small amount of "oil" fuel - from tranny fluid to motor oil. Just make sure its clean and run a small amount at first to find out how much it can and can't take.

emr

thanks, just wanted to clarify as my father who actually used these trucks swore it had to be a multi...

see what 30 years will do to your memory ;-)
He probably had the older 5 tons also, not alot of difference really to some but alot to others, Most in service Guys I know who have worked on em for years never really were/are anywhere near as stricked as we hobbiest are on what truck is what, nor did they care, he probably had an earlier 5 ton with Him in service many times, they sure can look alike, A good buddy drove many deuces in the Air Force in a radar unit that served around the world for 4 years, and came to my shop one day and went up to the 813a1 and said, Man these Deuces are the best trucks ever made, when i told him it was a 5 ton he just looked at it, and shrugged look the same i guess...and they do .Memory has a way of doing that...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks