• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light Rust and Paint Prep

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gang, the bed of this wrecker is starting to show some surface rust. Nothing built up or flaky. The paint is old and getting thin. Since the bed is all diamond plate can I just mop it down with Osvo and paint right over it?
Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used beach sand before. Aside from the sparks, it works pretty fair. I can't sandblast this deck with my puny 6hp single stage compressor so thats why I'm looking for another route. The neighbor has a big blaster and pallets of black beauty so maybe I'll rent his equipment for a spell.

devilman96

Ken if your still looking at doing your bed your more than welcome to come over one weekend and use my stuff. Personally I've found im allergic to sandblasting!!! I have a 60lb pressure pot, 4 tons of dry sand and a rotary compressor... If the paints really stuck and your prissy about it (im prissy) you can strip it first here also, its MUCH faster that way....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the offer Mike, might go that way. For now I'm holding off on the paint until I get it road worthy.

Armada

I just had my dropside box sandblasted and it's THE ONLY way to go. It had the heavy flaky rust and multiple layers of paint though.
But you're right, you need the industrial equipment for something that large.

ida34

Armada said:
I just had my dropside box sandblasted and it's THE ONLY way to go. It had the heavy flaky rust and multiple layers of paint though.
But you're right, you need the industrial equipment for something that large.
How much did this cost and where did you take it? Mine looks like someone was hauling gravel in it since the bed is not flat. I don't know if I want to invest to much time in this bed. If the cost to blast it is alot I may just get a new bed then do the prep work on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks