• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv Towbar tips

Bobert

I may be getting a parts cucv m1009 and using a medium tow bar to move it 400 miles. I hae a few questions about it.

It has no engine, so would that make it tow better or worse?

Would I need to add weight to the back of a 98 1/2 ton suburban?

Should I extend the tow bar legs? if so how much?

I've been reading a lot of towing safety posts and have realized that it is serious business.

If you guys have any more tips, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Robert

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will tow fine sans engine. Your burb should be plenty heavy as well. 1009s tow so nice you won't need to extend the bar. Make sure you have lights, safety chains and decent tires and you should be fine.

Bobert

That is a nice load. It's my buddy's burb and I didnt think they could haul too much. If your 3/4ton can do that I feel more comfortable about a 1/2ton hauling just one.

Bobert

You guys were right, it towed fine. It didn't even sway at all. We went on the 2 lane twisty hills in Missouri and all highway from Kansas City 60-70mph.

Ended up using a bumper bar since it had no D ring mounts and I was too lazy to take off mine. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment.

Attachments

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great info I will Be towing M1009 to New Mexico this fall With M1028A2 with tow bar & light kit extra tire & pull Prop shafts front & rear.

HighAltitude

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a towbar that will directly connect to the clevises/clevis mounts on the M1009 front bumper straight out-of-the-box? RVer friends of mine simply drop the transmission and transfer case in Neutral and go. Does that seem reasonable on the M1009, too? I've gotta make a M1009 pickup and drag it 600+ miles. Towing seems the best option for the trip (keeping the weight off the hitch/bumper of the tow vehicle, keeping the CG low, etc). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Pawnshop

Pull the drive shafts, plug the rear of the transfer case, and pull! GM states that short flat tows of 30 miles or so are OK with everything in neutral but for longer tows the drive shafts should be disconnected (pulled or just disconnected at the U joints)

3dAngus

Isn't the M1009 a 3/4" connection.

The Hunter Mil-Spec towbar is also called the Medium towbar. it has a 39K towing capacity.
You can get the 3/4' feet, usually for the CUCVs, or the 1" feet which are usually for the Deuce and 5 ton. Measure the hole diameter in the M1009 and let me know for sure if it is a 3/4 " hole or a 1". And I have the towbars with your choice of feet in the classified if interested, and you can get a good visual graphic of what it we are talking about.

Barrman

Both of my M1009's have 1" holes in them. I use the same feet for them as for the M35's.

the M715 special adaptors also take the 1" pins and feet. Even though the M715 frame mounted shakles themselves are 3/4".

The M37 and M151 are 3/4".

I don't know what the HMWWV is.

reb87

my 2000 4x4 suburban manual said it can be towed with the trans in park and tranfercase in neutral. I towed it from ND to NE with no problems. I just assumed the same would work on my 1009 and towed it home with my m915a1....the transfercase is now stuck in low 4x4 and when I put it in park it is the same as neutral(..will roll).as a friend of mine said"JUST PULL THE DRIVESHAFT, IT DOSENT TAKE MUCH TIME"

3dAngus

my 2000 4x4 suburban manual said it can be towed with the trans in park and tranfercase in neutral. I towed it from ND to NE with no problems. I just assumed the same would work on my 1009 and towed it home with my m915a1....the transfercase is now stuck in low 4x4 and when I put it in park it is the same as neutral(..will roll).as a friend of mine said"JUST PULL THE DRIVESHAFT, IT DOSENT TAKE MUCH TIME"

Trans in park??? Really?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For short distances you can leave the shafts in. Anything over 25 miles and I pop the rear out and make sure the front hubs are unlocked. When I do local tows its transfer in N and tranny in P. FLuid movement in the tc will turn the transmission. Without proper lube moving around, the tranny could get burn. Leave the tranny in P.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks