• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Procedure for Adjusting Brakes

HQ-88

I am looking to see if anyone has any advice on adjusting brakes with a vehicle that has a brake booster. Restoration was just completed, M1A1 Scout Car, and I have not attempted to start the engine yet. I attempted to adjust the brakes by first bleeeding all the lines, verified master cyclinder is full. Adjusted the screws on each wheel I first truned the screw so I could not rotate the wheel then backed off slightly, did this for all wheels. However I still end up with excessive brake travel. I think I have performed the procedure correctly, however I am wondering how much effect the booster will have, if any once the vehicle is running. This part is new to me

ctmustang

if you have excessive travel with no vacuum in the booster just wait until you crank it. I deal with this stuff everyday at work. It sounds like you did rite with the adjustment. You should have just a little slight drag on drum brakes. If you have bled the stuffins out of the systen then I would suspect a bad master cylinder. Also is the master intended for use with power brakes? And there is usually a little rod between master and booster that can get you in all kinds of trouble. That one is hard to explain. if anyone here would like to try go ahead. you should have like a 1/32nd gap if adjusted rite. you might want to find a local mechanic to help adjust the rod if you have one in there.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you bleed the PeePee out of the hydra vac.
I did an M8 and there is still an issue with the pedal being mushy and no pedal until you pump it a few times. I think it is a residual check valve issue. The adjustment you did sounds correct. Did you do anything with the booster?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks