• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Link to great deal on CCKW W/W (in CA)! $1000

DMgunn

1943 GI 6x6 - $1000 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board=

The pics aren't coming up on his post, but he sent me a couple. This truck has a ton of potential, and I would love to see it go to someone here before someone on Pirate......he is in Fresno County, CA - way too far for me, or I'd be trailering it home by now..

Attachments

Last edited:

emr

How much does he think its worth restored? it is not that great of a deal, sorry. A mint one goes for 7 to 8 and are in the classifieds in the MV mag all the time . It is going to cost alot more than it is worth to restore, Unless U find someone that really needs alot of the parts that are on it that are good, I do have an informed opinion, But like everything else, it is worth what someone will pay for it...Good Luck . I hope it does go to A good home...Randy

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A closed cab Jimmy in that nice condition is worth a grand any day. The cabs are usually a mess.

DMgunn

I would think the winch would be worth a few extra bucks.

Trucks in that condition are pretty hard to come by in my neck of the woods, so I guess out here we pay "too much" when something decent comes along.

Last edited:

DMgunn

Sounds like the price is pretty negotiable - he saved it from certain death, but doesn't need it - like most of us, he just couldn't bear to see it destroyed, and "had" to intervene. He doesn't seem to have any real interest in the truck, as his interest is early Bronco parts, if that helps anyone....

Email if interested is (randykuykendall@ymail.com), and obviously his name is Randy.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
DM...I paid $500.00 for one that was in FAR worse shape than that.
In fact compared to mine...that one is restored!!!

If it were around 200 miles from me I would prolly go look but CA is out for me.:cry:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, you Jimmy guys help me out here. I love these things (and the Studie US6) but I know almost nothing about them.

This is an early model becuase it's enclosed and it's a 353 because it's the long wheelbase. Right?

What's the difference between banjo and aplit axles and is one better than the other?

Do all the enclosed cabs have the civilian dash?

68t

that a good deal on a cckw, i keep up with the ww2 m.v. , but they just for keep our history alive or parades and shows.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, you Jimmy guys help me out here. I love these things (and the Studie US6) but I know almost nothing about them.

This is an early model becuase it's enclosed and it's a 353 because it's the long wheelbase. Right?

The CCKW was made between 1941 and 1945, the open cab was introduced in 1943, and was gradually phased in. The long wheelbase (353) and short wheelbase (352) were made the entire production run.

The truck for sale looks to be a '43 but it could be a late '42. You can tell by the brush guard that is exended on the driver's side to cover the blackout drive lamp. '41s and early '42s were symetrical

What's the difference between banjo and aplit axles and is one better than the other?

The banjo axles were made by GM and are known to carry greater weights, but the transfer case uses ball bearings and is considered inferior to the Timken used in the split trucks. The split axle is make by Timken, which later became "Rockwell". For hobby use the axles are just fine one or the other.

Do all the enclosed cabs have the civilian dash?

Only the '41s had the civi instrument cluster, later models had the usual round gauges. The actual dash board is the almost the same, a few detail differences.
Hope that helps.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The banjo axles were made by GM and are known to carry greater weights, but the transfer case uses ball bearings and is considered inferior to the Timken used in the split trucks. The split axle is make by Timken, which later became "Rockwell". For hobby use the axles are just fine one or the other.

Hope that helps.

It is a great help! Thanks!

So the transfer case is axle specific? How do you identify the different axles?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The banjo axle is a "front loader" with the distinctive tic-tac-toe web cast into the the cover. Same appearance as the G749 "Hydramatic" trucks of the 1950's. The split is, well, split. There is a left half and a right half to the entire axle. There are some good pictures of this axle disassembled on the "Burma Ford" thread.

The transfer case is very much axle specific. The banjo front output is reverse rotation.

paulfarber

The interior looks ok-ish. A big area of concern would be the gauges. Also, the picture doesn't really show a winch lever. That would be between the steering wheel and shifter. PTOs and shafts are kinda hard to find.

Open cabs started production in late 42, but closed cabs were produced throughout the war.

If you need the parts then its a good parts truck. But hauling it is going to turn a $1k truck into a $3k truck FAST. Esp if you are on the east coast.

I'd part it out. Without a bed its restoration value is little as a whole. Plus whats under the hood?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks NDT!

paulfarber

The winch lever should be just to the left of the shifter. There is a hinged plate on the floor and the lever is a flat bar that comes up about half as high as the shifter.

I had a dump truck that had the PTO lever.. its not a simple affair to add one... lots of brackets are needed. And if you buy this truck thinking it has them then you may be in for a surprise.

Now the floor *could* have been patched to welded over.... that's always a possibility... but the floor looks stock.

Easiest way to figure it out is look for the truck SN just above the passenger side shock. Should start with CCKW-353-XXXXXX-XX The last two letters should be -B2 Banjo axle with winch.

billyclanton

I've seen a lot worse. My G506 has the PTO flat lever and I don't see one in this cab. Mine also has the PTO knob on the left lower side of the dash but I'm almost positive that was added. Boy, there is some foul language on that "pirate" site. Ain't used to seeing that connected to this site or the "G"
Billy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks