• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

350 Chevy swap out questions

Kevin Whitcomb

I'm looking at buying one of several goats and one of them would be a good candidate for an engine swap out. I remember seeing one somewhere that had a 350 in it. Have any of y'all ever done a swap out like this and if so, what do you think after you did it, would you do it again?

jfnemt1ff1

The engine is an easy swap, The trans of the Gama goat trans is late 60s GM truck trans so bell housing should be easy to find.You might want to check over at gamagoat.com for more info.
John

Kevin Whitcomb

I took a look over on gamagoat.com and didn't really see anything that was a "how to" guide. Is it really as simple as pulling the 353 out and bolting in the 350? What about the fuel system? Exhaust, cooling system?

Can a different transmission be used? I know this is probably ruffling some feathers amongst the purist, but I really am shooting for a goat that's very safe and reliable,,,

Have any of you done a swap out? Can anyone recommend a mechanic or shop that's done a swap?

mendo

I am doing one right now. I have a dummy block bolted up with the mounts done and am fabbing the cooling and the wiring. The bellhousing bolted right up. from feedback that I have recieved I am looking for the largest radiator that will fit into the stock location due to the extra heat generated from more cubic inches. I am converting the goat to 12V entirely so the starter and alternator and all the rest of the acc work. I will change the wiper motor out to a 12v as well. there will be a fair amount of fab, the exhaust is one, I am planning to use some short headers through a muffler then out the top. As far as a trans, it would be nice to use an auto with the overdrive to get that little lower rpm on the highway, at this point I am using the stock trans. maybe later will change it out for the auto.

79stang

Did you need to fab up the motor mounts? Could you send me a pic? I would think a 3 core aluminum radiator would do it for the SB. Also, electric fans might be useful to pull more air through the radiator. As for the exhaust I was thinking you could route the driver side exhaust under the engine and have it collect with the passenger side and follow the current system. You would need some heat protection, but it should work. Do all of your lights work with the 12V system or do they all need converted?

mendo

yes, mounts are homemade. the goat is at my shop, I won't be there to take pics for another week.

One of the problems with the cooling is that the radiator has to push out the back and there is not a bunch of airflow.

I agree about the larger more efficient radiator will work better and I plan on using the electric fans.

my plan for the exhaust is close to yours, might run down and back, then over to the side, then just out the top.

I will get some pics posted next week when I am back near it.

79stang

Also, if anyone knows the size of a radiator (dimensions) that would be helpful. Im going to try to measure it this weekend, but dont know if I am going to get to work on it. Might have to cut wood.

davidkroberts

From what i remember the main issue was keeping the engine from overheating. The last guy who i read about doing it put in airducts (think home heating airducts)along the vents on the hood to increase airflow. he had electric fans and oversized radiator also. your going to have problems (probably anyway) changing out the transmission from the stock one. You dont have allot or room to play with between the transfer case, emergency brake, and bellhousing. Im not sure anything else will showhorn into it. maybe but i never tried it.

I know the rpm is a limiting factor on these but have you thought about a 6.2 L J code diesel out of a CUCV. They are cheap easy to work on and dont have the cooling problems of gas motors

79stang

The engine should bolt up to the transmission. They are both GM, thats why the chevy is really the only choice. If not you would always get a different bell housing.

mendo

The engine should bolt up to the transmission. They are both GM, thats why the chevy is really the only choice. If not you would always get a different bell housing.

I already have the block and bellhousing bolted up to the trans, I have the motor mounts mocked up and will work on the end product after it proves out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can a different transmission be used? I know this is probably ruffling some feathers amongst the purist, but I really am shooting for a goat that's very safe and reliable,,,
QUOTE]

I'm not trying to be critical and I support your efforts to repower your Gama Goat but I'm confused by the quoted statement above. Where will you gain safety and reliability from doing the small block swap? 353s have been moving stuff around the country for many decades. They are easily million mile engines.

79stang

No, your fine Recovery. Im just in the position that if the 353 doesnt work, I will not have enough money to rebuild it. Especially when I have 2 Chevy small blocks waiting in the wings. If I was going to try to do a complete military resto, then I would definitely save the 353 no matter what was wrong with it. Im building it to get it running as fast as possible and still be usable. And dont worry, Im not going to scrap the 53, Im going to try to save it, but if it doesnt run it would slow down the resto and me enjoying the Goat.

mendo

I'm not trying to be critical and I support your efforts to repower your Gama Goat but I'm confused by the quoted statement above. Where will you gain safety and reliability from doing the small block swap? 353s have been moving stuff around the country for many decades. They are easily million mile engines.
I like the 353, it is a great reliable engine.

I also like the small block, it offers some different features, some of them are advantages, some are not.

I like the avaliability of the small block.
I like the many aftermarket parts options.
I like the increase in the rpm range.
I like the sound.

it will be different from the desiel, maybe quiter depending on how I run the exhaust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks