• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally starting the M151A1 restoration PICS

ida34

I got it out of the barn a few months ago. I was able to get my cab switched out on my F-350 so now I have the Mutt on the rotisserie and in the garage. I need to strip it down and blast before winter.

Attachments

Reactions: DAS

ida34

Glad to see the rotisserie worked. Was it tippy at all?
It was tippy getting it on the rotisserie. My son Ty and I used a Hi Lo jack to get it up enough to slide the mounts into the frame. Not tippy at all right now. I need to weld some nuts on the top of the swivels so I can get infinite adjustment instead of just the predrilled holes. I have been moving it around to get access to the shop and no hints of it tipping over. I do want to get some square tubing to replace the unistrut in the middle. Everything looks pretty stable right now but I have not tried to tip it over yet.

ida34

I already started a thread over there when I got it out of the barn. I updated it when I got it on the rotisserie.

cstaup

Good to see you got it up on the rotisserie. It won't balance out intill you get the suspension parts off. Good call on replacing the unistrut (I've always meant to do that).

For the costs involved it was well worth it. I couldn't imagine welding the underside without it.

Yes, I'm the guy who made that. Please be kind, it was my first foray in stick welding for a looong time:oops:

ida34

I just saw your post. The thing works great. I plan to modify it a little to allow for infinite adjustment on the rotation. Right now it is working out because I can move it around in my garage while I have to do other stuff. Stripping the stuff off is my first priority. It will probably only take a few hours but I am still working on other stuff right now.

ida34

Well I finally got a chance to strip the tub. Everything is off except the main brake line and the rear harness. I plan to aircraft strip the thing then follow up with some sanding and blasting followed by some red oxide to keep it real. I hope to get the job done next weekend so I can

Attachments

ida34

The collision damage is the only problem. Both rear wheel wells are jacked and it looks like something came down on the front near the dash as the dash is buckled in the center and the passenger's side is to low. The person I got it from had already purchased a side panel and passenger's side fender top. I may have to get a panel for the rear of the passenger's side wheel well and the top of the rear fender.

ida34

Sorry boys she is going to army standards. I am keeping the USMC stuff so I can reverse it if I want. The front bumper is Army but I am looking for a USMC bumper. I want to get all the stuff to put it back as a USMC in the future. I also need to get a fording kit and a fording valve. I will need to straighten the plate for the passenger's side rear. Incidently, the hood is marked as an Air Force hood.

ida34

Yesterday I pressure washed the tub and the high pressure showed out some weak areas that will need some attention. Today I got out my hydraulic spreader kit and pushed some of the damaged areas back into shape enough to allow me to replace the panels that need to be replaced. The ram was too large for the area at the top of the rear fender so I plan to get a smaller ram from HF. I still have to work the metal and only made gross corrections but it looks a lot better.

These are the after photos

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks