• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats my next step? MVA or Not.

mdsuave13

I finally rescued my XM820 expansible from Manatachie, MS. Drove it 907 miles to Ellicott city, MD.

The seller gave me the sf-97 which is in the GL as the transeree.... it then has a re-assignment of the sf-97 to the previous owner. I have a bill of sale that shows that i bought the vehicle from the previous owner.... now what do i do. I know how maryland is.... should i just take this stuff in a roll the dice, or is there a way i can get a real title thru GL? i haven't done the resgistration on a MV before, and so far, i feel like its coming right up the alley of my "china bike" that came with a MSO/MCO.

jimm1009

This should be all that you need. The SF-97 is the certificate of origin, the transfer of SF-97 has your name on it, and the bill of sale from G.L. to you has your name on it.
Have them (OMV or DMV) call G.L. and wait for hours if they can't understand but all states are supposed to accept the SF-97 because it is a federal government form used for only one purpose.
You would also get a SF-97 if you bought a 2005 Mercedes car from the government or a 1998 Chevy van or a 1945 ford pickup.
You should be good to go.
Post here is you have any problems so others in your state can be warned too. Also others may have suggestions IF you encounter a snag or two.
jimm1009
PS: I listed the GVWR as the off road listing fromt he -10 because it was better to the tag & insurance as I will never haul the rated load ever.

crusty

In Delaware, that won't do it. The party to whom the SF97 was assigned is the only one who can get a title. If he is a licensed dealer, maybe.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally rescued my XM820 expansible from Manatachie, MS. Drove it 907 miles to Ellicott city, MD.

The seller gave me the sf-97 which is in the GL as the transeree.... it then has a re-assignment of the sf-97 to the previous owner. I have a bill of sale that shows that i bought the vehicle from the previous owner.... now what do i do. I know how maryland is.... should i just take this stuff in a roll the dice, or is there a way i can get a real title thru GL? i haven't done the resgistration on a MV before, and so far, i feel like its coming right up the alley of my "china bike" that came with a MSO/MCO.
The seller that you bought the truck from, and whos name is on the SF-97, will need to title it in his name first. If he does not, it is called "Skipping Title". He can not "reassign" the title to you unless he is a dealer.

If he does not want to title it in his own name you will have to use a title service company. Costs around $250. International Title Service www.its-titles.com is a good one. There are others. There has been some talk that MV are on hold for now.

stumps

I just asked this same question of MD MVA. This is what they said:
-----------------------------------------------------
Dear MVA Customer,

Thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry. The answer to your question is as
follows.

When a vehicle owned by the US Government is sold, the SF-97 (Certificate to
Obtain Title to a Vehicle) is assigned by the Government as the transferor
to a transferee. If the transferee is not a licensed auto dealership, the
transferee must take title in their name before re-sale. If the SF-97 for
your vehicle is going to be assigned to Government Liquidators, they
(Government Liquidators) will need to take title in their name in order to
assign it to you.

If you are buying the vehicle directly from the Government, the SF-97 should
be assigned to you.

You must have an ownership document for the vehicle in order to title it in
Maryland. MVA cannot issue any registration without an ownership document.

A Certificate of Title is an ownership document for a used vehicle. If you
do not have a properly assigned title, you may contact the Circuit Court in
your area to obtain information for a Writ of Mandamus (court order). This
court order would require MVA to title the vehicle.

Additional information in reference to a court order is available by
clicking on the following link:

Titling - Court Order Affecting Ownership

We hope this information will assist you.

A0002

Maryland MVA Customer Service Center

-----------------------------------------------------------
Doesn't help me much in my search for a travel tag, but it might help you.

-Chuck

Tnrobocop

If you got this from a guy there that was also a chief of police, he knows better. I bought a CUCV from him off of Ebay. The state of TN did not let me title it because all he gave me was a SF-97 with his name on it as well as a bill of sale. GL said when I called them that they would not reassign a SF-97 to me that the original buyer would have to title it.

I had to send it all back to him, he titled it in MS for $5.00, then sent me the title with his name on it. Took about two months.

Once I had the title in hand, it was no problem.

Sounds like the same thing you have to do.

ida34

Crusty,
Sound like they did reassign it to the person that bought it from GL but the poster is not the original person. They guy he bought it from has to get the title in his name with the 97 and the reassignment affidavit. The poster is the second civy owner not the original buyer.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, new to MV and SS, I was thinking about buying a M35A2 from a fellow in Maryland where we both live. He said he has no title with the truck, and I could call these two places for help:
International Title Service www.its-titles.com
Broadway Title Company www.broadwaytitle.com

So I just got off the phone with them and both said they can no longer get titles for MV's PERIOD! :confused:aua

David

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
The Maryland MVA is very strange about the SF-97. It is NOT a transferrable document. I tried to put a truck that I purchased in my sons name, they said no way, and I had to title it in my name, and then do a title transfer once the title came. I would go the route of using the Alabama title company and for $200 they will get you in business in less than 2 weeks. pm me . I suspect that Ian, Rideni, will tell you something along the same lines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks