• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GMC Model AFKX-352

aboonski

While we were up in Powder Springs Georgia looking over an M1010 that was for sale we came across this interesting WWII relic that I could not find a categorie for in the forum. The pictures tell part of the story. According to the person who owns this thing, it had a 400 Chevy transplant and was driven from California to its present resting spot where is is now a storage area for some Model T body parts. I think the AFKX is worth more than the model T stuff myself! I didn't ask the guy if he would sell it for some reason - after all, where would he store the Ford parts?

Attachments

Bill W

Powder Springs is less than a hour from me, if your not going to buy it please send me the info as I know someone who will be very interested in it. Thanks

Definitely a rare and exciting vehicle! :-D If'n i'twere me, I'd be looking at offering a newer, larger school bus or some such as a replacement PLUS help him look for Ford parts at swap meets etc PLUS some cash if he wouldn't be insulted. Check the numbers, and I'll bet production of that GMC is a lot less than ol' Henry turned out! Maybe if you explain it that way, find info on the rarest comparison Ford, he might be amenable to helping to save this truck.

saddamsnightmare

September 18th, 2009.

Jeez, quit yer griping, Guys! Ask yourself how rare a U.S. Army FWD COE radio truck, bus or whatever the heck this critter was compared to the CCKW's, M135,M211's M35A-'s, and figure that there's nothing on that body that can't be rebuilt with enough sheet metal and maybe a truck body company's rolling plant.....? We rebuild body parts all the time for trolleys and railroad cars from the 1940's back, and only a couple of pieces on here have compound curves.:-D It doesn't look totally dead, and worse come to worse, you could graft more mechanical components in from a later M or civillian series vehicle to make it roadworthy (at worse), and you and I have seen worse projects get saved on here.

Just put in for stimus money and say its an anti-terrorist command vehicle from WWII- still useable with a good rehab.....:p

Just my .02, but the cool facter is up there...

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Er...huh? What? OH Yeah...I like that thing...anyone know what it was used for?

If the price is right...or the trade...i would be very interested:roll:

aboonski

What's really neat about that bus is that someone already has converted it to a Chevy small block and the heads are off of it right now - probably still bolted to the drive train. Someone could be driving that thing next week with some new tires and another running 350! I should have asked the guy if there was a title for the thing! This bus is probably one of the rarest MV finds this year! I love the dashboard in that thing - still intact after all those years. You should buy it Lavarok! Throw a 6.2 in it and use the bus for your daily driver.

68t

i got a friend who got one of these bus, or work shop, also i think the spooner wi. m.v. club has one that is restored, they got a lot of ww2 m.v.

aboonski

That's pretty neat! It's a shame about the one just sitting in Powder Springs. I hope it did not get submerged during the flooding a few days ago. Powder Springs was mentioned on the news but I have no idea whether it was affected by the flooding. I would love to see that restored bus up close! Where was the photo taken?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks