• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pressurewasher sandblaster attachment

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
since I have a lot of nasty paint/ rust removal in my future and I don't have an aircompressor capable of pushing a serious sandblaster I thought I would give this a try

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...uctDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=8520&R=8520
on the battery box from my deuce
before...

after (actually just had a few minutes of daylight so just started)

I had to use wet sand, so I had to stir the sand with the pickup for it to work. (I'll get some dry sand tomorrow & see if I can just leave the pickup in the bucket)

BTW: You can still see the occasional spark even with water hitting the metak at high pressure :) :shock:

Dieselsmoke

A buddy of mine used one and it worked quite well. I forget what he used on the bare metal afterwards to keep it from flash rusting.

rdixiemiller

Those pressure washer sandblaster setups work fairly well. They are definately less dusty than straight sand blasting!
Get some Ospho, or metal prep. Look for a phosphoric acid based solution. The Phosphoric acid will convert the surface to iron phosphate, which is quite rust resistant. After everything is dry, you can spray on a good coat of red oxide primer, I use Sherwin Williams brand. That should hold things until you get a top coat on the truck.

da_sgt

In the old days (early 70's) we would use aluminum storm door cleaner on bare metal right after it was stripped. Basically its just a acid based solution as mentioned. It worked well in the high humidity area I lived in (Chicago) :wink:

rmgill

I use a siphon feed blaster with Dupont Star blast. It's very fine and almost powdery and feeds very well in a siphon blaster. There's also next to zero silica in the star-blast media which helps keep you from getting silicosis. After blasting, I blow it off with a bit more air, then shoot it with a primer sealer out of a rattle can.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
BFR said:
since I have a lot of nasty paint/ rust removal in my future and I don't have an aircompressor capable of pushing a serious sandblaster I thought I would give this a try

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...uctDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=8520&R=8520
on the battery box from my deuce
before...

after (actually just had a few minutes of daylight so just started)

I had to use wet sand, so I had to stir the sand with the pickup for it to work. (I'll get some dry sand tomorrow & see if I can just leave the pickup in the bucket)

BTW: You can still see the occasional spark even with water hitting the metak at high pressure :) :shock:
Here is what I ended up with after 1 hour & 200lbs of sand.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
definately a lot of sand, but I can do it with the tools I have & sand is cheap.
BTW:
I used a fine grain sand today next run I'll try "play sand"

da_sgt

Wish I could say sand was "cheap" I'm paying $9.00 per 90lb bag of 70 grit, same price for the 30 grit :( I try to recycle my sand when I can so that helps a little :wink:

SixBuy

The pickleX looks interesting but gets pricey in a hurry! The phosphoric acid based metal conditioners are much cheaper and work well if you follow directions and rinse. Also you can buy them at most auto paint supply houses too. About $7.50/pint which dilutes 5 to 1 with water.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
just out of curiosity... do you guys think it is worth it to go all the way to bright metal?

I'm currently planning on using this to remove scale and peeling paint, then prime & repaint. Any thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks